Chapter 4 - A Disaster?!

I hurriedly ran to the door and surveyed both sides of the hallway, catching a glimpse of Tokiya's back for merely a split second as he turned around another corner.

(*Gasp* There he is! Oh, please don't go anywhere else!)

I pleaded in my head as I jogged in the direction he went, quickening my pace. I retraced his steps and the minute I took that same turn, he was nowhere as far as the eye could see. The only thing that I was greeted by, regrettably, was one completely empty corridor...

"Seriously Ichinose-san?! Ugh, I just had a feeling something like this would happen!" My voice accidentally slipped out, making me reflexively cover my mouth with both my hands.

(Oh gosh, I hope no one heard that--)

Just as I was hoping while peeking around me with caution, a sudden voice called out to me from behind, "Icchi...? Heh, got some business with him?"

"Eeekk! U-Umm..."

I slowly turned around, my voice cracking as I blurted, "W-Wait, you're... Jinguji Ren?!"

Never could I have imagined that I'd ever come face-to-face with the one and only consummate ladies man of Starish, Jinguji Ren

(Wait, five Starish members in one day...?! This is way too unbelievable...! Am I dreaming?)

While I stared at him with a face full of shock, he simply peered back at me with a mischievous smile, making me have no idea of what to expect from this untimely encounter I was in.

(Oh no, this is definitely not good, I'm suddenly all alone with the most dangerous man in this entire academy! What should I do...?!)

With a half-raised eyebrow, Ren began, "Your face is all red. Don't tell me you're a fan of mine~?"

(Wait, seriously?! Ugh, this is the worst timing to be blushing! It just had to be in front of someone like him...!)

"No, you've got it all wrong, I'm not a fan! Really, this is not what it looks like!" I rapidly flailed both of my hands in front of me, trying my best to clear up this huge misunderstanding.

"Heehh, and here I thought you liked me." Ren shrugged his shoulders with closed eyes, but that playful smirk still didn't escape his lips. 

"Anyway, what's all this about Icchi...? You sounded real upset while yelling out his name like that."

I awkwardly dropped my gaze from his face before starting to explain the situation, "Oh, about that... Umm, you see, I was just trying to find him, that's all! But I lost him so I just got kind of annoyed and mistakenly blurted that out..." 

"You were searching for Icchi?"

"Yeah... But I guess I'll have to look somewhere else since he's not here anymore."

Ren gave me a curious look before speaking with his usual smile, "You know, I'm always up for helping a lady in need. You only need to say the word if you'd like..."

(No, that's definitely not a good idea!)

"A-Ah, no thanks! I don't think that's necessary, I'm completely fine on my own." I politely declined his proposal. After all, I'm sure that I'd be completely on edge the entire time if I'd have to walk around with a guy like him.

"Ouch, getting rejected by a lady sure stings... Haha, well, if you change your mind, I am still always available. Anyway, I know when I'm not needed... See ya." After letting out a conceded chuckle, Ren casually turned around and waved sideways nonchalantly.

After seeing him walk away and making sure he had left, I loosened up my tense body with a restrained sigh.

"Phew, thank goodness that's over... Now then, back to the problem at hand! I hope I still have enough time left until break's over. Okay, one more time!"