Chapter 7 - An Unexpected Surprise

Hearing the entire story from Ayame, Asuka realised just how much of a polar-opposite their days progressed. Of course, she could empathise after seeing the bitter smile on Ayame's face. 

"I'm sorry Ayame... If only we were in the same class, you wouldn't have had to go through such a difficult time." Asuka sighed dejectedly.

"Don't worry about it! I haven't given up hope in trying to fix my impression on Tokiya. I know I can do this!" Ayame pumped herself up with both hands on her sides.

"Yeah! I'll be cheering you on - don't give up yet." Asuka's arm slung on Ayame's shoulder with encouragement.

Just as they were giggling and relaxing in their dorm room, a reverberating knock disrupted the calm, placid atmosphere. The two girls turned towards the door after halting their conversation with Ayame getting off her bed and answering the unexpected visitors. It was none other than Tomochika and Nanami who dropped by at chance hour.

"Heya! Hope we aren't interrupting anything!" Tomochika gave an airy wave before walking in and gazing around.

"Pardon the intrusion..." Nanami bowed and feebly took a step in.

"Wow, what brings you two here?" Ayame was pleasantly surprised, even staggering back a little.

"No reason, really. Just wanted to check out what kinda room you two got." Tomochika was still surveying the place with great interest.

After a while more, Asuka added, "Did it meet your expectations?"

"*chuckle* I think it did more than that, right Tomo-chan?" 

"Duh! Truthfully, our main reason for dropping by was just to have a lone, girl-to-girl chatter. The whole day's been with the Starish boys, and I don't think I'm satisfied with just knowing what's on the surface you know? Wouldn't you all agree?" Tomochika justified as she took a seat on one of the chairs.

"Ohhh, that makes sense I guess. Asuka and I were just on the topic that we haven't gotten to know you two PROPERLY properly either. It must be fate that you were thinking the same!"

"So, did you two have any reason for coming to Saotome Academy? I bet there was something that inspired you." Tomochika's eyes shone with excitement as she questioned, to which Asuka replied with a bashful smile, "Umm, it was kind of our childhood dream..."

Ayame immediately continued, elaborating said statement, "Asuka and I were both so fascinated by these idols we once saw on T.V. And ever since that day, we made up our minds to become someone that could spread the same charm to others! That's basically what made us set our eyes on this Academy haha. What about you guys, what's your story?" 

"Well, for me, the main reason I enrolled here was due to my admiration for Hayato-sama."

Seemingly not expecting that sort of a reply from Nanami, Asuka wore a look of confusion, "Wait, you mean that cheerful comedy artist? That Hayato-sama?"

"H-He's not like that! ...I wanted to try composing for him after hearing how beautiful his songs were, sung from the heart. Which is why I chose the composing course." With a wistful smile, Nanami spoke shyly before Tomochika joined in, "Surprising, isn't it? When I found out that Haruka looked up to someone like him, I was pretty shocked myself!"

"That's exactly what I was thinking right now! But hey, come to think of it... Don't you think that Hayato and Ichinose-san look similar in a way...?" Ayame inclined her head to the side, looking deep in thought as she compared the two vocalists.

"Haha, you picked that one up fast. Here's the thing, Hayato is really just his stage persona." 

Upon Tomochika's answer, both Asuka and Ayame's eyes widened in disbelief, quickly followed by Ayame blurting, "W-W-Wait, hold it right there! You're telling me that the crazy happy-go-lucky Hayato and the intimidating Ichinose-san are actually the same people?!"