I Like You

Suga sighed as he adjusted the strap of his duffel bag over his shoulder. The trip to the hot springs went by in a blur. It was over before he realized, just like the rest of his high school years. He sighed again. He didn't regret devoting most of his time to the volleyball club and his studies, but there was a small part of him who couldn't help but feel like he missed out on arguably the best years of his youth.

In the past three years, he hasn't so much as gone out on a date with anyone. He hasn't even had the opportunity to either confess to someone, or to be confessed to. All the chocolates he got during Valentine's day would be obligatory, and he would simply return the favor during White Day in a gesture of amity.

Suga stood at the railway level crossing, waiting for the train to pass. The moment it sped right past him, he let out a scream of abandon, not caring how it may have looked like to a random passer-by. It was around eight in the evening and the people who lived in this part of town were usually in bed by that time.

"Trying to scare away the undead?"

Suga flinched at the sudden voice that reached his ears just as the train disappeared from his sight. He held a hand to his heart, glaring at the chuckling woman standing a few paces away.

"Seriously?"

"You looked like you were enacting a scene from a shonen manga. Or a particularly dramatic slice of life anime."

Suga clicked his tongue, feeling his face burn at having been spotted by someone he knew. "Why are you out so late?"

Kiyoko raised the bags of groceries she held in both hands. "Dad's out of town again for work. So I'm stocking up on some food."

"Give it here." Suga stretched out a hand to offer his assistance.

She tried to give him one of the lighter ones, but he insisted on taking the heaviest out of her hands.

He stacked the large bag on top of his duffel for efficiency, looping an arm under the handles for added assurance.

"Thanks." She nodded at him.

"No problem." He shrugged. They were neighbors after all so it was no trouble helping her out. Shimizu and her father moved into the house next door to his just before the start of high school.

Suga eyed the contents of the plastic bag, sending her a look of silent judgement. "Really?"

"What?" She challenged.

"I know you can't cook to save your life, but this is just sad."

Kiyoko rolled her eyes as she moved to cross the railroad. "It's either this or the chance of burning down my house."

He followed her as he continued to peruse the rest of the items in the bag she handed him. "Everything here is instant!" He paused to glance at the other two in her grasp with suspicion. "You're going to die an early death."

"I'd take it over arson." She shrugged.

Suga chuckled to himself, shaking his head at her obvious disdain towards anything culinary. "Just drop by our house. Mom loves having you over anyway."

"I don't want to impose."

He rolled his eyes. "You do know mom always makes a portion for you whenever she cooks right? Especially during dinner."

"Well-"

"So it's decided. Dinner at my place."

She let out a sigh of resignation. He could be really obstinate when he wanted to.