CHAPTER THREE

Flossie met Eli at his locker before lunch the next day. He was shoving his books in, looking disgruntled. The girl slammed his locker shut, making him jump a little.

"Hey," she laughed out. "Thanks again for helping me with that lab report last night. Demetri was really impressed, and I may or may not have taken complete credit for doing it," she snickered, making Eli smile back at her.

"No problem," he muttered, his expression dropping as soon as she turned away. It seemed the girl could still tell that he was in an odd mood though, he was talking even less than he usually did.

She decided to overly avert her attention to the boy, speaking a lot so he didn't have to. Eli liked when she would rant on about random things, especially when he didn't feel like talking.

"My brother sent a letter yesterday," she stated, pulling out a pack of gum from her pocket. "Said he's stationed in Bridgeport. I swear that kids going to hell. And not the cool part of hell with all the murders. Nah— he's going to the lame-ass part where all the really bad accountants are."

She held the pack of gum up for him to take one but he just shook his head. Flossie tucked it back into her pocket, but noticed that Eli's mind was still elsewhere.

The girl wanted to ask what was bugging him, it probably had something to do with him going home early last night, but she knew it would only make him feel worse.

Walking into the cafeteria, the two sat down at the table that was already occupied by Miguel and Demetri. "Looks like Platt is ready for another one of her lectures before the dance," Flossie said while shrugging into her seat next to Eli. "Don't spike the punch bowl. Leave room for Jesus. God if this place couldn't get more sad," she rattled on.

Everyone seemed to be ignoring her though, which caused the girl some annoyance. Why was everyone such a bummer today?

The bell finally rung, meaning lunch had started, and the guidance counselor caught the attention of all the students. "Cyber bullying is no laughing matter," she began strongly. Flossie inwardly groaned, knowing what was coming. "Sending a cruel message to someone online can be just as hurtful as saying it to their face."

The girl shrunk in her seat as Platt continued on, "I'm not gonna name names, but the other day a mother called me up because her son was crying after some kids online made fun of his facial deformity."

Flossie raged on the inside, it seemed the girl was filled with a lot of rage. But Platt, she didn't need to make it so obvious that the story was about Eli. She looked over to him softly, observing his nervous stature. He covered his lip insecurely, and Flossie shook her head, not so much at him but more in anger.

"But today, our goal here is to make this school a safe space for all students."

Flossie grabbed Eli's arm. "Fuck her," she mouthed to her best friend holding up her middle finger slyly so only he could see. He wanted to smile, but couldn't, as his cheeks were now flushed in embarrassment.

Miguel looked to the three now. "You know, if you're sick of getting bullied, my karate dojo's looking for recruits," he said convincingly.

Flossie let go of Eli's arm, both looking towards Demetri to answer, as they always had. "Yeah, right, you hear that, Eli?" He said sarcastically. "A little karate training and you're gonna kick some major ass."

Eli looked annoyed with the boys comments, more than usual. Flossie on the other hand smirked, amused. "I 'm serious, Demetri, all right?" Miguel pleaded. "My sensei's the real deal, and l'm sure I could get you three discounts."

The girl thought about it for a second, but karate seemed kind of lame to her. Plus, she had gone on about her whole life avoiding fights: avoiding fights with her father, with Yasmine, and especially with her brother. She didn't need anymore in her life.