CHAPTER 6

"Who— what are you doing here?" The SkyWing asked. His scales were coppery bronze-orange with a brighter orange belly, and he had a pale orange sock pattern, like Windstalker's, and his eyes were warm and amber. He wore a plain metal armour, but was missing the helmet, so he must have been a guard-in-training. 

"I might ask you the same thing!" Windstalker bristled, fluffing out her spikes. 

This guard looked like the last thing he wanted to do was pick a fight with this weird dragon that was wandering around his kingdom's dungeon.

"I'm a guard," he replied pompously. "It's my job to watch my kingdom's dungeon." 

"Oh, really now," Windstalker hissed, her claws curling dangerously. "Well I'm just passing through, so if I could just move your big fat tail—"

He had her pinned to the floor in under a second. 

"Oi!" Windstalker bellowed at him.

"You are under arrest, IceWing and SkyWing hybrid!" He declared, but looking pleased that he did something important. 

Windstalker snorted with laughter, and the SkyWing scowled. 

"And you think you can beat me?" Windstalker said saucily, slowly raising her sharp spiked tail slowly behind the guard's back. 

"Of course! You're pinned beneath me! You're at my mercy!" The guard exclaimed, spreading his wings majestically. 

"Well, I'm not dead," Windstalker hissed, "and soon you'll be" 

She stabbed her spiky tail down, but the orange SkyWing rolled off her and leapt to his feet. 

"I am Copper! I'm going to be the next Head General! You can't beat me!" He roared. 

"Oh, I assure you that you can die. Would you like a demonstration?" She hissed, crouching to spring. 

Copper took a few steps back. "And who are you?" He asked, probably trying not to let fear spill into his voice. 

"I am Windstalker of the IceWings and the SkyWings. I can shred your wings apart with my claws, and kill a dragon twice as fast as you." Windstalker half-lied, spreading her wings to seem more menacing. 

Copper looked like someone had dropped a wall on top of his head. "Wh-what?"  

"What? What do you mean by 'what'" Windstalker said, ruffled. 

"You name is Windstalker?! Do your parents hate you? Or are terrified of you?" Copper blurted, then covered his snout with his claws. 

"No!" Windstalker roared, taken aback. "I bet your parents wanted the world to know that they named you after a sparkly rock!" 

Copper was definitely laughing. "You're good, I'll give you that, hybrid" he said jovially, all traces of violence gone. "Hey, Windstalker's kinda long to say, can I call you Windy?"

"Not unless you want your snout ripped off, no" Windstalker said hotly, still on full alert. 

"Gee, fine," Copper retorted, grinning amicably, and Windstalker felt her fury melting. 

"So, can I pass yet?" Windstalker asked Copper, who was staring at a few prisoners with disgust on his long orange snout. 

Copper's head turned back to her, mischievousness written all over his face.

Windstalker groaned internally. oh no, what does he want now? 

"You can pass on two conditions. One, meet me back here tomorrow when the sun is highest. Two, got any good jokes?"