CHAPTER 9

Snowstorm took a step towards Windstalker, but the latter moved away, hissing. 

"Why are you snarling at me?" Snowstorm demanded, evidently ruffled.

"Because, I can," Windstalker growled, her claws curling in. She had never felt like this before in her life, even when she had hidden Hailstone's favourite toy—a small wooden owl painted with bright splashes of colour—and now the guilt was washing over her. The guilt and the rage. She wanted to break something, preferably a certain IceWing's neck. But she also wanted to attack her smug, annoying, goody-two-shoes, parent-favoured brother. She imagined sinking her claws into his neck, ripping the bratty expression off his face, leaving him with a few scars to remember her by. 

Windstalker shook herself. Her mind was made up. If the tribe and her family couldn't save her, what use were they? Maybe Snowstorm and Clearskies could help her, then, one day, she could return. 

"Snowstorm," said Windstalker quietly. 

Snowstorm's head snapped up. "Yes?" She barked.

"I'm joining you," Windstalker said. Wait, what? Joining Snowstorm? 

She had known all along, it seemed. Clearskies and Snowstorm were linked. Snowstorm even called herself 'the Blue Shadow'. They were both assassins, criminals, thieves. 

"Very good, very good, my clan needs more recruits anyways!" Exclaimed Snowstorm. 

"Yes." Windstalker said shortly, she didn't know what to say since she had no clue what Snowstorm was talking about.

"Then we leave tonight!" Snowstorm beamed. Windstalker took a few steps back in surprise. A simple smile made this dragon look only 26, which was probably her real age. Windstalker had never seen Snowstorm crack a genuine smile before, and she might be the only one who had. 

Snowstorm's scowl returned immediately. "What's your problem?" She snarled. 

"N-nothing!" Windstalker growled back. "I have to pack first, maybe leave a note to my family and stuff..." 

the fact that she would probably never see her family again sunk in. Even Hailstone, with his annoying voice and smug face. 

This is a good path for me. It'll probably be like school, with extra battle training, too.

"All right, but dusk at the palace gates, be there." Snowstorm growled, then she spread her wings and soared out of the room, and out of the nearest open window. 

What in the THREE MOONS OF PYHRRIA AM I DOING?! Windstalker's mind cried. 

But Windstalker ignored it and turned to Copper's limp body. The knife's hilt was buried deep in his chest, and Windstalker pulled it out. Without knowing what she was doing now, she shoved the knife in her pouch. She turned to leave, but paused. She'd need to confront her family if she was to pack up. And she wouldn't be able to do it with bloody talons. Right outside the interrogation room, a small trough was set in the wall. Windstalker dipped her talons into the frozen water, and a shudder traversed her scales. This feeling, of having killed someone, it was gone now, all Windstalker could feel was... nothing. She couldn't feel anything. She didn't feel guilty, happy, sad, or even furious.

Why?

She couldn't dwell on that, she had to sever ties with her family now. Killing would be simplest, but deep down, a hint of feeling remained. She remembered the past few days, how alone she felt without her friends, and how Clearskies would put her down constantly. Even her house felt less like home, and more like an abandoned warehouse that she was forced to live in. Windstalker ignored that, too, and climbed through the large, rectangular window Snowstorm had left through.