|5| Secrets, First Year

April 28th, 1972

Riley watched the clock tick in History of Magic. Professor Binns was talking about something that Riley couldn't even track.

She saw Remus taking notes aggressively in his book and didn't even bother to ask why he was writing every single word that came out of Binns' mouth.

"So, any plans for tonight? It's a Friday," Riley asked Remus as they got out of the class. He looked startled for a bit and Riley didn't look surprised.

"Uh, I'll have to study for—"

"Our non-existent exam next week?" Riley completed his sentence smiling.

"I—I just like to revise when I have free time, I'll go somewhere different, I like to study alone," Remus said. He was speaking very fast and quietly that Riley couldn't catch some of his words.

"Where?"

"If I tell you it won't remain private so I won't tell you," he said with sass in his voice.

"Why so secretive, Lupin? Fine, I won't question you..." Riley said as she walked to the common room.

She grabbed the book that she got from the library months ago to read through it. It was already overdue and Pince was getting more pissed every single day. She made the same frown she always did when she saw Riley, the lines on her forehead became more visible, then she clicked her tongue in disappointment.

Riley couldn't finish the whole book. If somebody had spotted her reading the book, they would've gotten suspicious, and she couldn't risk that.

As she expected, Remus didn't show up that night. She went to the same spot in front of the fireplace to see everyone except Remus. They were talking about their new prank about covering McGonagall's office with confetti. Riley found it amusing, but didn't have time to participate in the chat, except for a single sentence.

"Make the confetti repeat themselves, so it will last for a week," she said. James and Sirius looked at each other and Peter gasped.

"That would be brilliant! Think of this, McGonagall having to come down to the Great Hall to work because her office is filled with confetti repeating itself! We can use my invisibility cloak to sneak in," James said.

James' invisibility cloak had been passed on to him from his father. He had told them that it was very rare to own such a valuable item. But they didn't use it for the reason it was created for. They pranked people.

"Where's Lupin? Has anyone seen him?" Sirius asked as he looked around.

"He said he was gonna study or somethin'" Peter mumbled. Riley nodded in agreement.

***

It was Potions the next morning which made Riley happy. Her best grades were from Potions, and Slughorn liked her.

They were making a potion, again, instead of listening to the professor talk to the whole class for hours, which made her happy. She prepared her potion and got it approved by Professor Slughorn. He told her to clean it up and Riley got a flask to pour the potion in.

She looked around to see if anyone was watching her. She was sure nobody was staring and got the cauldron. She set it to an angle that faced her hand and started pouring it on her hand on purpose.

She felt the potion hit her hand and it hurt. She felt it sting and burn, she couldn't help but let out a cry. Professor Slughorn turned towards her.

"Miss Spade! Are you all right?" he asked.

"I accidentally spilled it on my hand, sir. Can I please go to the hospital wing to see Madam Pomfrey?" she asked as she held her hand.

"Yes, yes," Slughorn said.

Riley made her way upstairs and found the hospital wing. She opened the big doors as she felt pain and agony. She hadn't realized how bad it would be.

"Madam Pomfrey, I accidentally spilled this potion on my hand during Potions," she said.

"Oh! Miss Spade, come here, I'll fix it quickly and you'll be able to return back to class," Madam Pomfrey said as she got some Pain Potion from the drawers.

Riley wasn't focusing on any of that, she was searching for her friend, Remus Lupin. She was afraid her theory wasn't correct, but that couldn't be true. It had to be correct, Riley was sure of it. Madam Pomfrey did some healing to her hand and let her go but Riley went next to a hospital bed which Remus lied on.

"Wh—what are you doing here?" Remus said panicking. His eyes were filled with worry and tiredness. Riley looked right in his warm hazel eyes and let it go as the honest person she was.

"So, how did your transformation go?" Riley asked quietly. "You know, the werewolf thing..."She noticed his eyes getting teary. He was left speechless. He looked down at the bandages Madam Pomfrey had wrapped around his scars, and let the burning tears that stung his eyes fall down.

"H—how did you—" he stuttered as he wiped his tears away.

"I noticed you were gone every full moon and how you came with scars every time you went 'studying' or 'when your mum was sick,' so I went to the library and... well, you know, it all just, clicked," Riley said as she looked down. "I'm sorry I was a bit nosy... really, I didn't mean to."

"No, I shouldn't have hidden it, it's not your fault," Remus said. "Aren't you mad, or angry at least? Maybe even scared or disgusted you're friends with a monster—"

"What?! Why would I be disgusted? You're our friend and we have to stick together. And I won't tell anyone if you don't want me to, your secret is safe with me, Lupin," Riley assured Remus.

"Maybe it would be better if you didn't tell anyone, I mean, if it isn't too much for you to keep."

"Of course it isn't. I won't tell anyone, don't worry. But you are aware of the fact that you will have to tell them sometime, right?"

"Yeah, but I don't think this is the right time, yet," Remus said, he then looked at Riley's hand, then pursed his lips. "Did you spill the potion on your hand on purpose?"

"Well — I wouldn't say on purpose — but it was on purpose," Riley said as she laughed.