Chapter 16 - Taste of Power

Jace was sprawled on the couch with his feet propped on Alec's lap, a hand draped on his eyes dramatically. Alec, on the other hand, was also stretched out with his head tossed back and eyes closed in exhaustion, not bothered about Jace's muddied boots on his lap.

Allison herself was curled in a plush armchair, her head resting on one arm and legs thrown over the other. Her head was hunched into her shoulders as the armchair's width was small for squeezing her long body. I must look pathetic, she thought as Magnus gave her a look.

The three along with Magnus returned after making sure Simon, now a vampire, and Clary were alright. George had left saying that he needed to do some work. Work, in meaning, would mean finding what helped Valentine to attack the City of Bones.

Exhausted, all plopped in Magnus' drawing room, not bothering to retire to their rooms. Alec was supposed to go back to the Institute with George but opted to join them, much to Allison's dismay or even happiness. She didn't know. 

The room's lights were dimmed and she only saw Magnus' silhouette as he walked towards her. He wore a jade green robe above his night attire, his gold-green eyes were still luminous.

Magnus perched on the arm near her head and looked down. Though she had to toss her head back to look at him.

"How did it go in the Seelie Court?" Magnus askedslowly, to not awaken the parabatai duo. 

A million words filled her mouth but she admitted the truth. "Made me want to murder her ruthlessly, which even scared me." 

Magnus smirked. "Always a raging bitch then?"

Allison couldn't agree more.

Magnus remained silent as he stared out the window, the night light of the city spilled in. Allison didn't spend the day sleeping since she was helping Magnus and Jace to research more about the Infernal Conversion. They worked till the afternoon until Alec appeared, with a huge box of pizza. That resulted in a hearty snack, and everyone dozing off in the drawing room.

Allison still couldn't rest.  She had a nagging question to ask. She debated whether she could ask Magnus. He would help her yet...it seemed personal.

"What is it?" Magnus asked, breaking the silence.

She tossed her head back again and gave him a questioning look.

"Something is bothering you." He observed his gold-green eyes were suddenly welcoming. "I'd help you as much as I could. Or else Tessa would murder me."

Allison chuckled. "Speaking of Tessa, have you heard from her?"

"Still in Spiral Labyrinth, I suppose."

He was trustworthy as much as Tessa was to her.

"It's the Seelie Queen. She went into my mind to cast an...illusion. I don't know how she did it."

Magnus tensed. "How did you come out of it? On your own?"

She nodded.

"Impressive," He tapped his chin, speculating. "Not everyone can get out her powers. What did she show you?"

Allison bit her lip. "It was rather personal."

"Oh." He said but didn't prod. Yet Allison wanted to let it out. The...earning for that illusion was becoming unbearable. All she could think of is how her life could've been. "The Queen showed a version of my life if Stephen didn't join the Circle. If he hadn't married Celine...and stayed."

Magnus stayed silent for a while. Then slowly, "You shouldn't dwell in the illusion. Mind games are her favorites. What she planted in your mind is a perfectly woven lie. You would never know what your life could've been."