Chapter 17 - World Was Still Asleep

After a long argument between Allison and Jace, it was decided that they would stay back in Luke's house with Magnus; he wanted to keep an eye on Luke and Maia overnight. Allison wanted to return to Magnus' residence with Jace since they were not supposed to leave in the first place. Jace, who always looked for a way to aggravate her, said he wanted to stay at Luke's. The reason, his exact words were 'She'd kill me even before I step foot into your apartment. That would cause you a lot of paperwork, Magnus.'

Allison had argued back saying, 'If I killed you, I have to do a lot of paperwork and face Imogen's wrath. I guess I can handle your stupidity for a little longer.

Jace, of course, retorted back. 'Well if we both are the only ones staying there, it would be scandalous.' His voice sounded light but something seemed fractured in his eyes.

Allison, in turn, growled and was about to make him shish-kebab when Magnus had held her back. Apparently, she couldn't stay without having thoughts on murdering Jace for mere seconds, so Jace won. Alec had forced a smile, but it faded soon. She should talk to him, but he left a little later to return to the Institute.

Feeling drowsy after the fight, Allison sat in the arm of Magnus' armchair. Magnus himself looked on the verge of passing out but still kept his eyes wide open, reading a book. Luke had fallen into a deep sleep, after-effects of the healing magic. Clary tried to have some small conversation with her, trying to catch Jace's eye. But he studiously ignored her, busying himself with the piano.

Clary finally decided to go to bed, because no one was in a mood to talk - either too sleepy or angry to respond. But, "You can crash in my room if you want." Her emerald eyes were trained on Allison.

"I've grown a liking for sleeping in armchairs."

"I," Magnus said without looking away from his book. "Am considered a gentleman, yet that won't let me give up this armchair."

Allison gave him an offended look.

"I'm afraid we're out of armchairs," Clary said. "Still, you can crash in my room,"

"I'll manage," Allison said, giving her a grateful smile. "You rest while you can,"

After Clary had left, drowsiness caught up on Allison. Her eyes were threatening close, mainly due to the fact she hadn't slept last night as well. Shit, she cursed, perhaps I should've headed to Magnus'. She could be convincing when she wanted to. And could smother her murderous thoughts for a while. 

She stood up, careful of her wounded arm. The pain had subsided, but her entire arm was sore. The iratze was stark against her skin. Under the pale light in the apartment, she tried to figure out a way to make it to the kitchen.

She fumbled in the kitchen with the coffee beans and made slow work of making the coffee. After the fresh pot was ready, she poured a cup and settled into the countertop. The cool surface of the counter stung her bare arms. The coffee cup was the only warmth she had.

Though, her head drooped towards the counter, tiredness creeping in at last.

~~~~~

The fresh morning breeze, along with the stench of East River, skimmed Jace's face. He was perched on the railing of Luke's porch, trying to let that night's events settle in him. It was on pure impulse when he contacted Raphael for the motorbike. Torturing the Raum demon Allison had left alive was a gamble. It wasn't very bright, but he managed to learn that Valentine was on a boat. The guard demon of Valentine's, Agramon, had rattled him the most. The Demon of Fear. It lived up to its name, especially when it appeared as Clary, bleeding out and dying.