Chapter 20 - Heir Restored

"Are you sure this is the address?" asked Luke, bringing the truck to a slow stop. "Magnus isn't here."

Clary glanced around. They had drawn up in front of a large factory, which looked as if it had been destroyed by a terrible fire. The hollow brick and plaster walls still stood, but metal struts poked through them, bent and pitted with burns."He'll come," she said. "If he told Alec he was coming, he'll do it."

They got out of the truck. Though the factory stood on a street lined with similar buildings, it was quiet, even for a Sunday.

Luke slammed the truck door shut and zipped his flannel jacket closed. Silently, he offered Clary a pair of his thick woolly gloves. She slid them on and wiggled her fingers. They were so big for her that it was like wearing paws. She glanced around. "Wait—where's Jace?"

Luke pointed. Jace was kneeling by the waterline, a dark figure whose bright hair was the only spot of color against the blue-grey sky and brown river. 

"You think he wants privacy?" she asked.

"In this situation, privacy is a luxury none of us can afford. Come on." Luke strode off down the driveway, and Clary followed him. The factory itself backed up right onto the waterline, but there was a wide gravelly beach next to it. Shallow waves lapped at the weed-choked rocks. Logs had been placed in a rough square around a black pit where a fire had once burned. Jace was standing by the edge of the water, his jacket off. As Clary watched, he threw something small and white toward the water; it hit with a splash and vanished.

"What are you doing?" she said.

Jace turned to face them, the wind whipping his fair hair across his face. "Sending a message."

Over his shoulder, Clary thought she saw a shimmering tendril-like a living piece of seaweed emerge from the grey river water, a bit of white caught in its grip. A moment later it vanished and she was left blinking.

"A message to who?"

Jace scowled. "No one." He turned away from the water and stalked across the pebbled beach to where he'd spread his jacket out. There were four long blades laid out on it. As he turned, Clary saw the sharpened edges gleaming of runes.

Jace stroked his fingers along the blades, the rays reflecting off its surface.

"I'm all right," Luke said and drew his jacket aside to show the kindjal thrust through his belt.

"What types of blades are these?" Clary asked. "I've never seen them before."

"These are actually specialized blades." Jace twirled one in his long fingers. "Seraph blades are used because the adamas are the most fatal to demons. It burns them. Otherwise, we use these; which are rare since running metals are really hard. It's Allison's stash actually. She wanted me gone and sacrificed her own belt. I do feel a bit hurt."

"Because not everyone wants you?" Clary couldn't help but smile. "That's why I like her."

He took out the only seraph blade and named it, handing it to Clary. She took it, feeling the energy tremble in her hands.

"Do you ever use Raziel's name?" Clary asked as Jace slid the blades into his belt and shrugged his jacket back on, getting to his feet.

"Never," Luke said. "That's not done." His gaze scanned the road behind Clary, looking for Magnus. She could sense his anxiety, but before she could say anything else, her phone buzzed. She flipped it open and handed it wordlessly to Jace. He read the text message, his eyebrows lifting.

"It looks like the Inquisitor gave Valentine until sunset to decide whether he wants me or the Mortal Instruments more," he said. "She and Maryse have been fighting for hours, so she hasn't noticed I'm gone. But your niece had promised she'd convince her as soon as possible. Never thought I'd end up trusting her."