2. Closing Time

When G and Green left in a hurry, you immediately went to clean up their table. Pocketing the tips they left and dropped off the money for their meal; Two eggs, a side of buttered toast with sausages and coffee, in the cash register. Preparing the table for other customers as more easily pulled up in the vehicles.

You soon fell back into the routine. Smile, greet, feed, and clean. It was mundane - but you couldn't complain of it too much.

"Linda, could you perhaps—"

"Nope. I am off now." Linda said, loudly popping her gum. Her bright blonde hair in a messy tease with a light blue headband pinning her bangs down. A slight smirk played on her pink lips as she waved and bumped her shoulder with yours. Pursing your lips at the contact, you sighed when the door closed behind you.

"Thanks for your help," you mutter underneath your breath. "No, no you can go home. I'll just close up for us, I insist...."

Taking a fast glance around the diner, you nodded slowly. Feeling a rush wash over you as you flipped the notebook closed, leaving it on the counter, and rolled up your sleeves and began cleaning up. Mopping up the floors and wiping down the countertop, tables, and refilling the condiments for the morning shift.

After everything was finished in the front, you moved to the back. Easily scrapping the grill, scrubbing the left-overs in the trash and thoroughly washed the containers and missed dishes. Wiping down the area around the sink before you went back in front to retrieve your notebook and the apron you took off mid-mopping.

Taking a glance at the clock, you sighed loudly.

10:45pm. Your shift ended nearly three hours ago. You weren't sure how your boss would feel about your overtime, even with the stunt you pulled today, you felt like you were going to be scolded when you came in tomorrow.

If you were lucky, maybe the universe didn't hate you so much that it made Mrs. Anne leave before you arrived for tomorrow's shift. Although the slight chance of that happening was slim.

After changing from your uniform to your usual attire, you tightened the coat around your waist. Locking the doors behind you and turned to gather your surroundings.

The street the diner was located was nearly deserted. The only misfortune was he bar playing jazz music loudly with its patronages outside slumbling about. You frowned at this and sliped your hand in your pocket, slipping each key between your fingers.

Even if you didn't want to think about it, kidnappings and murders were a thing around the area and being a woman outside after hours gave that type of opening they needed.

Whoever they were, you thought with a bite. Biting down on your tongue as you began walking home, keeping an ear out for sudden footsteps, for any crying, for any traps. It was only a ten-minute walk to your apartment building, maybe you could do this...

When your street came to view, the anxiety building up on your shoulders began washing away. A sense of security pushing away the feeling of being watched as you subconsciously picked up your pace.

The feeling of being watched intensified the closer you go to your street - even if your building was still a block away, walking down a familiar street gave a false sense of security you desperately wanted.

Your heart dived into your stomach when a pair of footsteps matched with yours: light but quick.

Taking a deep breath in, you continued down the street in a quick pace, forcing yourself to relax. You had no weapon - nothing to defend yourself and you cursed underneath your breath for this little slip up.