Eighteen

A few days later I stand in the conference room, waiting for the signing of the Accords. I never signed, but Dad told me I had to come and think about it and decide here. But a part of me is screaming not to sign, not to give someone power over me again, but I know what Dad would want, but I don't know what to do. I'm dressed in the only dress I own, it's black velvet with mesh long sleeves and is to the top of my knee, I also am in a pair of black heeled ankle booties. My curly black hair is half pinned back. I'm completely out of my element here, I hate crowds and stressful situations make me panic. The only good thing is that Nat is here too.

I see T'Challa, prince of Wakanda, across the room as I let my eyes wander. He is wearing a sharp suit and stands, looking through a glass wall.

"Excuse me, Miss Romanoff?" a UN staffer says to Nat.

"Yes?" Natasha asks.

"These need your signature." the UN staffer says to her, I see T'Challa look over at Natasha. "Thank you."

"Thanks," Nat says to the worker.

"I suppose neither of us is used to the spotlight," T'Challa says as he walks over to Nat.

"Oh, well, it's not always so flattering," Natasha tells him.

"You seem to be doing alright so far." T'Challa tells her, "Considering your last trip to Capitol Hill... I wouldn't think you would be particularly comfortable in this company."

"Well, I'm not."

"That alone makes me glad you're here, Miss Romanoff."

"Why? You don't approve of all this?"

"The Accords, yes." He says, "The politics, not really. Two people in a room can get more done than a hundred."

"Unless you need to move a piano." King T'Chaka says to him as he approaches.

T'Challa says something to him in their native tongue, and King T'Chaka responds before turning to Nat, "Miss Romanoff."

"King T'Chaka." Nat says, "Please, allow me to apologize for what happened in Nigeria."

"Thank you." King T'Chaka says, "Thank you for agreeing to all this. I'm sad to hear that Captain Rogers will not be joining us today."

"Yes, so am I." Natasha says.

"I noticed Miss Stark here though, has she signed?" T'Challa asks.

"No, not yet. That's what she is here to determine"

They both nod and give me a nod, I nod at them from my spot at the back, where I feel more comfortable.

"If everyone could please be seated." A man on the speakers says, "This assembly is now in session."

"That is the future calling. Such a pleasure." T'Challa says.

"Thank you," Natasha says and walks over to me.

"Have you decided yet?" She asks.

I sigh "No, I feel like no matter what I choose, it won't end well"

She nods and leaves me alone with my thoughts as the conference starts.

......................................................