Chapter 2

Today was the day. 

For the first time in her life, Furuya Reiko was about to go camping with her friends. Right now, she was sharing the front passenger seat with Conan as there was no room left in the back. Was it safe to have two people in the front passenger seat? No, probably not, but safety had never stopped them from cramming four kids into the back seat. 

Reiko wasn't really talking all that much, instead opting to listen. Ayumi, Genta, and Mitsuhiko definitely talked enough for all six of them. At the present moment, the three of them were singing while Conan was leaning over to whisper to Agasa-hakase. Reiko couldn't help the smirk that started to appear as she noticed Conan glancing in her direction as if he was making sure that she couldn't hear them. Luckily for him, though, the only thing she managed to catch was something about a robot. And if Reiko was being honest, she wasn't sure she even wanted to know what that was about.

Other than the slight rambunctiousness of three of the kids, the ride there actually went quite smoothly, and they soon arrived at the campsite. Now, Reiko had gone camping many times, mainly with her mother or with one of her cousins and their friends. However, she couldn't help but bounce on the balls of her feet in excitement as she was finally able to jump out of the professor's yellow Beetle. After all, this was the first time she was going camping with her own friends.

Reiko paused, though, when she came to a realization. 

If Conan was really Shinichi, and he was friends with the Detective Boys, would that mean that she was just once again stuck going camping with her cousin and his friends? Her face scrunched up in confusion as she thought about the situation. 

'I mean…' Reiko thought as she put her hand up to her chin in thought. 'Technically they're my friends, too… and Shinichi-nii won't be the same age as us forever… probably.'

"Are you okay, Furuya-chan?" Reiko snapped out of her thoughts as Ayumi waved a hand in front of her face. 

"Ah, I'm fine, " Reiko reassured the girl. "Just lost in thought. Sorry about that." She paused before adding one more thing. "Also, you can just call me Reiko, if you'd like."

"Reiko-chan then!" Ayumi grinned out of excitement.

"Then…!" Genta started, a look of excitement and expectation in his eyes. 

"C-Can we also call you Reiko-chan?!" Mitsuhiko asked with the same expression as Genta.

"Sure!"

Conan and Haibara just stood in the background, amused at their excitement. 

*****

It took them a little while, but they managed to finally set up part of the campsite including the tent. 

"Me and Ai-chan will start the fire while Reiko-chan starts preparing for lunch," Agasa started, looking at the kids. "So do you think you guys can go and get some sticks from nearby for here?"

"Yes!"

And so they went to go collect the firewood with a decent amount of gusto. Well… Conan didn't seem all that interested. Then again, the only things that ever seemed to excite him are mysteries, Sherlock Holmes, and Ran. Plus, having to keep watch of a group of kids wasn't exactly his idea of fun. And, of course, the trip only worsened when they happened to stumble across a certain limestone cave. 

Meanwhile, with the professor, Haibara, and Reiko, they had managed to get the fire set up as well as the table on which they laid out a pot and some of the food which Haibara and Reiko were currently cutting and peeling. The two girls had yet to really talk to each other except for a few quiet greetings, so the air around them was a bit tense. Well… a good portion of the tension came from Haibara.