Chapter 6

"Ehhhh, so she's staying with you guys for a whole two weeks?" 

Currently, Sonoko, Ran, Conan, and Reiko were on their way to an arcade that Sonoko had discovered, having got out of school not that long ago, and Ran had just told Sonoko about Reiko staying at the Mouri household. 

"Are you sure your place isn't becoming a daycare?" The rich teenager questioned with a raised brow as the four of them walked into a building with 'GAME ON GAME' on the outside. 

"Sonoko!" Ran exclaimed, though she was admittedly a bit amused. 

"At least you know when this one will be leaving!" Sonoko added, ruffling Reiko's hair, which caused the young girl to pout as she had to pat down the rat's nest the teenager had created. "At this point, I wouldn't doubt it if the brat decides to live with you forever!"

At Sonoko's words, a mischievous smile grew on Reiko's face as she nodded. "He's almost as attached to her as Shinichi-nii," she commented in agreement, ignoring the glare coming from her cousin. 

"Hah!" Sonoko laughed, leaning down to 'whisper' conspiratorially in Reiko's ear. "Do you think that Shinichi will need to worry about competition?"

"Definitely," Reiko giggled, ignoring Conan's glare and Ran's amused glances.  

The conversation was actually fairly normal after that. They went around taking photos with different themes, and both Ran and Sonoko went back and forth with their teasing. Meanwhile, the two cousins seemed to settle on the topic of Sherlock Holmes as they quietly followed the two teenagers.

It wasn't until the two teenage girls started talking about Dr. Araide that Conan and Reiko began to pay attention to the other conversation, each having their own separate reason for doing so. While Conan was a bit exasperated at the conversation, Reiko was genuinely curious, especially since she knew that the doctor they were talking about wasn't exactly who they thought he was. 

"—Yeah, but Araide-sensei is so busy," Sonoko drifted off from the original topic of letters with stickers. "He just left the position of basketball coach, and now he's in the drama department." Reiko actually deadpanned at this. Way to be subtle, Auntie Sharon. "Now that Shinichi isn't here anymore, he's probably the most popular guy and definitely the most popular teacher."

"That's not true!" Ran refuted. "The new English teacher, Jodie-sensei, is very popular, too!"

Reiko stared a bit incredulously, not sure whether or not she was surprised that Ran just name-dropped one of the few FBI agents that she actually personally knew. 

Who knew that hanging out with Ran, Sonoko, and Conan would be such a treasure trove of information?

Oh, wait, her mother did. 

"Only the guys like her," Oof, Sonoko-neechan, tell us how you really feel. "She wears revealing clothes, and she's super womanly. That American woman is playing with us Japanese girls!"

But—But don't you also wear pretty revealing clothes?

Reiko and Conan shared a look as they both noticed the hypocrisy.

"But she teaches well, and her lessons are easy to understand!" Ran defended. 

"She's too serious," Sonoko complained. "She's solemn all the time, and she wouldn't even have tea with us after school. She's the perfect gentlewoman!" Okay, are you insulting her or complimenting her? Choose a side. "We finally get an American in school, and she doesn't even like to make jokes!"

"That's not that weird, is it?" Reiko tilted her head in thought as the others looked at her. "Most of the Americans that I know aren't really the joking type."