♱ Chapter 10 ♱

Piper

"I heard you yelling at mamă yesterday," Alec said, brushing his horse as I saddled Silveia. I sighed, rolling my eyes and continuing to buckle the saddle.

"I'm guessing you heard what she said which caused me to start yelling," I assumed.

Alec sighed as well and continued to brush the black Friesian. I took that as a yes.

"I'm sorry if I said anything about you that may have been harsh," I apologized, knowing that he had been brought up.

"No no, you actually solidified your point quite well by speaking about my circumstances compared to yours," He shook his head, waving off my apology.

"I just don't understand why my choice in Soulmate has now become a political agenda," I said, checking to see if the saddle was tight enough as I spoke.

Alec stopped brushing his horse and looked over at me. His shoulders were slumped as if he was carrying a heavy weight on them. I could tell that what I had said had upset him in some way.

"Things are changing, Piper. Our family isn't seen as powerful as we once were. But that is no excuse for using you as a pawn in order to gain the people's favor," Alec explained. I furrowed my brow once again. I guess since I wasn't given much responsibility for royal matters I hadn't noticed such a shift in view. It was still new knowledge to me that our family was being seen in a different light than we once were.

"I just don't know what to do. I don't want a Soulmate at this point. If it means I have to be paired with someone I don't even like for the rest of my existence, then I'd rather be alone," I told him sullenly.

I'd imagined what it would be like to love and to be loved since I was a little girl hearing the bedtime stories my mamă used to read me. I thought I would fall deeply in love with someone who loved me for who I was, not my title. I wasn't obsessive over it like other Vampire girls, but I still found myself excited to one day find my Soulmate.

All of that wonder and fantasy had been thrown out once I realized I wouldn't have much of a choice in my potential Soulmate. I was going to be paired with someone who was only loving of my title and royalty, not me.

"I wish it was different for you, Piper. You deserve to choose just as I did," Alec broke me out of my thoughts, catching the upset expression on my face.

I shrugged my shoulders, mounting Silveia. I no longer wanted to think or talk about it. If I did, I knew I would get even more upset.

"What is all of this?" I asked, running my hands over the herbs on the worn, wooden desk. I avoided the bunch of Hawthorn in the corner of the desk. It didn't take much for my body to sense its presence.

My fingers trailed to an open book. A grimoire to be exact. It was an old one, with faded script and frail pages. I touched it delicately, itching to flip through the pages.

"Just things I do to occupy my time," Evander answered me vaguely, as I had realized was normal for him. He watched me closely as I wandered throughout his cabin.

"Such as...?"

"Spells, potions, things of the sort," He replied, leaning against the worn kitchen counter. I nodded in response, not asking any further.

Evander sighed, crossing his arms over his chest. I still hadn't told him why I had come. To be frank, I didn't know why either. Not really.

"Might I ask why you are here?" He finally asked, eyeing me up and down. I turned my head to him, scoffing a small laugh before gazing elsewhere. If I were mortal, I may have blushed in embarrassment.