♱ Chapter 6 ♱

Piper

"Oh-" I gasped, covering my eyes and turning around quickly.

"I didn't think you were actually serious about coming back," Evander stated. I could hear him stepping out of the water, hear every drop hitting the ground. I could even hear his fingers pushing his hair back. His heart was steady as if he didn't care I had just witnessed him naked.

My senses were in overdrive. The shock still hadn't worn off yet.

"Well, I was," I deadpanned. Meanwhile, my heart was stammering, the sound of it pulsing in my ears.

"Some timing," He muttered. I could hear him pulling on clothes behind me. I took in a long breath, calming my pulse down.

"Are you decent?" I asked, clearing my throat.

"Yes," Evander replied, and I turned around hesitantly.

His hair was in wet, loose ringlets around his face, dripping onto the fabric of his shirt. His shirt was a loose, billowy canvas shirt that barely covered his tan chest. I flicked my eyes up to him, not wanting to stare.

"So why did you want to come back? I don't think that we have much to talk about," Evander stated blandly. He crossed his arms over his chest.

"I want to know everything," I told him, cutting to the chase.

"I already told you the most important parts," Evander said.

"Yes, but I want to know more," I argued. I was determined to know what he knew.

I couldn't understand why he seemed to hold so much over me. It was as if he either knew everything or was at least pretending to. He acted as if all the rest of the details were unimportant.

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you."

"Why not?"

"Because everything I have to say is against your kind," He sighed, obviously fed up. He ran his hand through his dripping curls and they fell into place around his angular features.

"That is why I want to know. If my kind is doing what you say they are, then I need to know," I persisted. I was willing to beg at this point. Though I was a very proud woman who normally wouldn't, I couldn't leave without finding out everything he knew.

Evander raised an eyebrow at me. By his expression, he seemed slightly amused and surprised at least. Without saying anything, he shook his head and walked past me.

"Where do you think you're going?" I huffed, watching him as he walked the stone path I had just come from.

"Inside. Where else?" Evander replied, and I could hear the thick deviance coming from his voice. This man was cocky. I had only known this man for a day, and yet he already found ways to baffle me with his defiance and unrelenting stubbornness to talk.

I groaned, following him quickly.

"I'm not leaving until you tell me-"

"I didn't assume so," He sharply cut me off. Though he was standoffish, his tone wasn't harsh. It was simply matter-of-fact.

He walked up the short steps to his home and turned back to me. Without another word, he held the door open for me, looking me up and down quickly before he made the gesture to invite me in.

"Your home is..." I trailed off, staring in wonder at the warm interior of the cottage. Candles were everywhere, surrounding books and herbs. A kettle was on the counter, surrounded by different herbal teas. A fireplace was in the center of the far wall from the entrance. The kitchen was small, as was the rest of the house, but it was a nice change from what I was used to. It was refreshing almost.