♱ Chapter 2 ♱

Piper

"Sir Novak," Mother cleared her throat as we sat at the large drinking table, "what makes you think you are suitable for our daughter?"

I tuned out the conversation before it even started. My mother has asked that exact question to the past two suitors. They all said the same thing,

They were strong, had plenty of connections, and were very fit to be part of the family.

In other words, they had every intention of marrying into the royal family and reap all the benefits.

Yet, my mother still believed every persuasion. She still laughed at their petty jokes, offered them more to drink, and continued on with their conversation.

"What do you think, Piper?" My father asked, grabbing my attention. I looked up from my glass and cleared my throat.

"About what?" I didn't mind acting like I knew what they were talking about. Who cares if I was listening?

"What do you think about Sir Novak accompanying you on a ride?" He asked. I raised my brow.

"Do you even know how to ride?" I ridiculed. I'm sure he did. It was just another thing he could brag about.

"Yes, of course," the pompous boy answered.

"I think it's a great idea!" My mother exclaimed.

Of course she did.

"Fine, but only a short trot through the grounds," I agreed. It was a dumb idea, but I agreed to it only because I would rather do that than any other suggestion.

"We will let you two go then," my mother smiled as she got up from her seat. The rest of us stood and left the table. Before I was out the door with Sir Novak, she flashed me a look that said, 'behave.'

Oh, I planned on it...

Sir Novak, eligible soulmate number three, rode beside me. His back was stiff, too stiff, and his head too high. He looked like a fool.

"So, Piper, how far are you in line to the throne?" Pretty boy spoke up from beside me, finally starting a conversation.

My eyes widened in surprise at how bold his question was. I pulled back on Silveia's reigns and faced him, making his horse stop. I scowled at him in disbelief.

"Excuse me?"

"You know why I'm here. If we were to be bound as Soulmates, I want to know how close I am to becoming King," he said, nonchalantly. He almost seemed surprised. Almost like it was a shock that I was confused by his question.

"I know why you want to be bound to me. Do not peg me as a fool," I looked him up and down in disdain. He really had some nerve.

"Well, I thought I'd cut to the chase and ask. That way I can make my decision."

"Your decision?" I hissed, "You cannot be serious."

"You know I am serious. Why do you seem so shocked?" Sir Novak furrowed his brow.

Yes, I knew that any eligible man who came here solely came for my royal ties. But, at least they played along and acted as if it wasn't their intent. They at least had that much respect.

"Because you have some nerve to come here and ask me such an arrogant question."

"Is it nerve or is it just rationality?" He countered. He was not phased by the obvious offense that I took from his comment.