♱ Chapter 12 ♱

Piper

"How about we make a deal," Evander said as he got up from his chair and approached me. "In time, I will teach you all there is to know about the Witches, and in return, you teach me about your kind."

He held his hand out to me, which I gladly took. I assumed he meant it as a kind gesture, a polite way to help me up from my seat even though I didn't need the help. As I stood, I made sure not to pull on his hand because I didn't want to accidentally bring him down.

I had to remind myself that although he was supernatural, his abilities did not affect his physique and he was still vulnerable to my strength. Even with his strong build, I was much, much stronger.

"I can agree to that. Although, you already seem to know a lot about my kind," I said. He obviously knew that I didn't know much about his kind. But what else could he possibly want to know about my kind if he already knew so much?

"It wouldn't hurt to learn from a Vampire herself. All that I know about your kind has come from books written by my kind, not yours. I am sure you will surprise me," Evander explained, almost as if he had heard my question out loud. Even if he wasn't telepathic, he was very good at knowing what I was thinking.

"I assume that you know of my abilities at least," I said. Evander nodded as he lead me out of his cottage.

"In time I'm sure I will witness some of those abilities, but yes, I do know of them," Evander assured me. I felt a foreign feeling settle deep in the pit of my stomach when he said that. He obviously assumed that I would continue to come around. To be honest, I wasn't opposed to it, and I liked hearing him say it as if it were a good thing.

"Then for now I will skip the show and tell," I joked.

I wondered if what we had between us could be officially called a friendship, seeing as though he didn't greet me with hostility anymore as he did the first time. We at least did not seem as weary around one another.

The air was chilly, a slight breeze whirling through the forest that loomed around us. The branches and needles of the evergreens hummed as it passed through them. I couldn't feel the chill, seeing as though I was coldness itself, but I could see the goosebumps that softly prickled at Evander's warm skin. I marveled at what goosebumps must feel like.

Soon, we stopped in the middle of his stone path. We were surrounded by the same luminescent flowers that first drew me in the first night I found this place. I shifted my focus from the awe-inducing flowers to him as he turned to face me.

"Every Witch or Warlock is born with an element, or elements, that we can manipulate at will. Earth, Air, Water, Fire. Earth Witches can summon plants, siphon from nature, and things of that sort. Fire can obviously siphon energy from heat or fire and can summon fire at any given moment. You get the idea. My mother was born an Earth Witch and my father a Fire Warlock. I just so happened to be born with both," Evander explained. As he did so, he was gathering wood from around him, mostly small branches and dry brush. I watched as he stacked the wood in a pit.

I watched as his hand rose and his fingers curled into his palm, making a loose fist. What looked to be liquified fire veined through his palm and fingertips and when he opened his hand, a small flame was flickering within his hand. The small flame engulfed the palm of his hand as if someone had drenched his skin in gasoline.

My eyes widened in shock as I watched it move with the wind. Evander fluidly flipped his hand over and pointed his fingertips to the stack of wood, setting it on fire, the fire in his hand now gone and transferred into the pit.

I stepped back as the fire roared up in a vengeful puff of flames and sparks, engulfing the branches within a mere second. I looked up to meet Evander's gaze with one of awe and surprise. He had a proud and almost amused look on his face as if he liked showing off.