16

"Come on, eat something. It'll make you feel better." Demetri says to Miguel, who thinks Sam is cheating on him. We're at the park, and I'm standing behind the bench that Demetri, Miguel, and Aisha are sitting on.

"I told you I'm not hungry man." Miguel says, sounding sad.

"I still think you're overreacting dude." Demetri says to him.

"I'm not overreacting, I know what I saw." Miguel says to him.

"All right, so you saw her eating dinner with some chode." Hawk says as he kicks Bert in the face, making him fall over.

"Holy shit Bert are you ok?" I ask him, my eyes wide.

"All good." He groans from the ground.

"It's probably just her brother or something." Hawk says, walking over and standing next to me.

"No dude, brothers don't look at their sisters like that." Miguel exclaims.

"Depends on where you live." I shrug, making Hawk look at me weirdly.

"Look, I just don't want what happened to Sensei to happen to me." Miguel says to us.

"All right, so you go over to this kid and beat his ass so he doesn't have to chance." Hawk says, making me laugh.

"Don't listen to Eli." Demetri says.

"It's Hawk." He says, and glares at Demetri.

"Yeah, whatever. The fact is, Sam's given you no reason not to trust her." Demetri says to Miguel.

"Yeah, I guess you're right." Miguel agrees.

"Oh! That little bitch!" Aisha says, looking at her phone.

"Who's a bitch?" I ask her.

"Yasmine." She says.

"Yeah." I say back.

"You know that video I posted of me breaking that board?" Aisha asks us.

"Yeah?" I say, confused on what she's talking about.

"Look what Yasmine commented." Aisha says and hold out her phone for us to see, but I have to lean on Hawk to glimpse at the phone.

"Impressive... can't believe the best made it around your waist." I read the comment aloud.

"What a dick." I say.

"I gotta do something." Aisha says.

"All right, how about we kidnap her and have my boy Rico tattoo 'bitch' on her face." Hawk says, and I shove his arm.

"No." I say, dragging out the 'o' and shaking my head.

"Why not?" He asks me.

"What do you mean why not?" I ask him, my eyebrows pulled together in confusion.

"Calm down Hawk." Demetri says, saying Hawk weirdly.

"All right I hear how you're saying it, and I don't like it." Hawk says, staring at Demetri. I laugh at him, and he looks at me confused once again.

"Wait, wait, wait. I've got a better idea. Look." Aisha says, holding out her phone again. What she was showing us was a picture of Yasmine talking about her 'vip only' birthday party.

"Yasmines throwing a birthday party at the Canton later?" Miguel asks, confused on why she's showing us that.

"Not if we strike first." Aisha says, and I look at her with a smile.

"Hell yeah." Hawk and I say at the same time.

~~~

We're in the store now getting supplies for the party.

"I still don't understand how we're going to buy alcohol." Demetri asks us in a low voice.

"Oh please. Never underestimate the power of the Hawk." Hawk says, grabbing a pack of beer.

Hawk goes up to the counter and puts the beer on it.

"Sup." He says, and points to the guy's Dodgers shirt. "Did you catch the game last night? See Puig with the walk-off?"

"Nah man, but I heard he flipped the bat to the moon." The guy says.

"Yeah, I was at the bar last night with my buddies from work. Whole place went wild." Hawk says.

"I wanted to go, but my girlfriend dragged me to some lame ass play." The guy says, rolling his eyes.

"Bitches will be bitches." Hawk says, making me roll my eyes.

"Yeah." The guy agrees.

"So, how much it gonna cost?" Hawk asks him.

"Gotta check your ID first." He says.

"I'm flattered" Hawk says with a nervous laugh. When the guy doesn't respond, he talks again. "Do you really think I'm underage? That's my wife and kid right there." He says, pointing to Bert and I. I widen my eyes and walk over there.

"Yup." I say, and put my arm around his waist. Why'd he drag me into this?

"Ok, well I still need to see it. It's required by law." He says.

"Oh yeah, for sure. Just upholding the law. It's all good." Hawk says and hands his ID to the man. While he's checking the ID, Hawk and I look at each other with nervous expressions.

"Whatever." He guy says, and even though he probably doesn't believe us, mission accomplished.

"Uh, how about eight bottles of that vodka right there?" Hawk asks. The guy looks at us suspiciously, but a hands it to us.

We walk out of the store before the others, so it doesn't look like we came together.

"Well that worked." Hawk says, laughing.

"All thanks to me." I say, laughing too.

"Yeah yeah, whatever."