Let It Burn

Let It Burn —

I struggle to shove my books into my locker, but someone quickly helps me. I look up to see that it is my best friend, Matt. He and I have been best friends for as long as I could remember. We met after I moved in across the street from him, and he and I really just clicked.

"Hey there, beautiful." Matt smirks. The typical everyday, Matthew Charles Sanders, well, for me he was. Ever since he and I started high school, it was always 'beautiful', sometimes even 'sweet heart'. Usually something new every day, but I didn't mind because telling him to stop only made him do it more, claiming he was "only telling the truth".

"Morning Matt." I slam my locker shut and turn away from him. I could hear him following behind me as I walked through the hallways of our high school.

"Marie, when are you going to finally say yes to going out with me?" He asks walking beside me with a smile plastered on his face. He wouldn't give up, no matter how many times I have told him "no", he was determined to get me to go on a date with him. I'll admit, I thought Matt was a very attractive guy, I've had a crush on the guy since I first met him! Although, I didn't want to admit that to him.

"When are you ever going to give up?" I question looking up at him.

"Never." He smirked.

"C'mon Marie, just one date! And if you don't enjoy yourself, then I promise to you that I won't ask you ever again. I swear." Matt says holding his hand up. I let out a laugh and bit my bottom lip, after so long of him asking, was I really going to give into him? A part of me wanted this more than anything, while the other part was a little scared of messing up our friendship.

Letting out a breath I turn my body to face him. "Alrighty Matty, you got yourself a deal." Even though I seemed calm on the outside, I was pretty much freaking out on the inside.

Throughout the rest of the day, I found myself continuously thinking about the date. I was a bit nervous and scared at the same time, but I suppose that couldn't been normal, I just didn't want to end up with a broken heart after all of this.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Matt walked me home after school like he always did, even when he was sick and stayed home, whenever school was over, he dragged himself out of bed and walked me home. He was very sweet to me. "I'll come pick you up later, so you better be ready." Matt smiled sweetly showing his dimples that I simply went crazy for.

I smiled back and headed towards my house. I waved goodbye to Matt and headed inside. I shut the front door behind me and quickly head upstairs. I was completely and utterly love struck at this very moment. Maybe it was because for so long was crazy about Matt and now I was actually about to go on a date with him. Several times did I have to pinch myself to make sure that I wasn't dreaming.

I had let my parents know that I was going to hang out with Matt. My parents loved Matt, they thought that he and I would be perfect together and several times did they try to pair us together. They would probably be thrilled that I had finally agreed to go out with Matt, but I wasn't going to tell them, at least not yet.

I had gotten changed and got ready for the date. Matt soon came and we headed out to the beach where I was guessing he and I would have our date. Matt held his hands over my eyes as he walked behind me, I placed my hands over his, scared that I was going to fall, but I trusted Matt anyway.

"Are we almost there?" I asked him. Almost sounded desperate for him to say 'yes'. He didn't answer, only chuckled and slowly took his hands off of my eyes. I opened them to see a few candles in glasses leading down to a table and two chairs, a few candles surrounded the table. A smile pulled at my lips, there was a vase full of red roses on the table. I felt as if I was dreaming. "Do you like it?" Matt whispers in my ear.

"I love it." I placed my hand over my heart. "How long have you been thinking of this?" I asked him. I turned to face him to see that sweet smile on his lips again.

"Since the first time I asked you out." He said. I couldn't believe that he was thinking of this for that long, I felt like a terrible person for not saying 'yes' to him sooner. "Zacky, Jimmy and Brian helped me get my hands on most of this stuff." Matt chuckled. I laughed and rolled my eyes as he and I walked down the path together, he pulled a seat out for me.

"Very classy, Matt!" I giggled as I took a seat.

Suddenly little Johnny from down the street come from behind me, almost scaring me. He was younger than Matt and I by a few years, but he loved hanging out with us and watching Matt's band play in his garage. He was simply the most adorable thing I've ever seen.

"What are you doing here Johnny?" I ask.

"Matt paid me twenty dollars to be your waiter!" Johnny blurts out. I laugh and look over at Matt who simply glares at Johnny.

"Johnny, go." Matt says.

"I still get my twenty bucks though, right?" Johnny asks Matt. "I was good!" He shouts as he runs away. I couldn't help but laugh.

"So are you having a good time?" Matt asks me. I press my lips together and nod my head.

"I'll admit, I am having a wonderful time with you tonight. I didn't exactly expect to have the best time, but I am." I smile. "I'm really glad that I agreed to come out with you tonight." Matt smiles and looks away shyly.

"Does this mean I have a chance of going out with you again sometime?" He asks.

"Oh beautiful, we haven't even gotten through this date first." I giggled. "But yeah, I would love to have another date with you, simply because I'm sure it'll be just as fun as this one is, even though it just started." I loved watching Matt smile and shyly look away, it was the first time I've ever seen him act shy the entire time I've known him.

copyright © 2015 synysters_wife