𝙋𝙍𝙊𝙇𝙊𝙂𝙐𝙀

𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄 || 𝘞𝘏𝘈𝘛 𝘞𝘌 𝘒𝘕𝘌𝘞 𝘐𝘚 𝘎𝘖𝘕𝘌°✾°═════════════[ ʟᴏᴏᴋᴇᴅ ʙᴇɴᴇᴀᴛʜ ᴛʜᴇ ʙʟᴜᴇɪ ᴡᴀʟᴋ ᴜɴᴅᴇʀɴᴇᴀᴛʜ ᴛʜᴇ ᴛʀᴇᴇꜱꜰᴏʀ ᴛʜᴇ ʟᴀꜱᴛ ᴛɪᴍᴇ ]

°✾°
═════════════
[ ʟᴏᴏᴋᴇᴅ ʙᴇɴᴇᴀᴛʜ ᴛʜᴇ ʙʟᴜᴇ
ɪ ᴡᴀʟᴋ ᴜɴᴅᴇʀɴᴇᴀᴛʜ ᴛʜᴇ ᴛʀᴇᴇꜱ
ꜰᴏʀ ᴛʜᴇ ʟᴀꜱᴛ ᴛɪᴍᴇ ]

    THE GENTLE CHORDS of Roland's guitar was all that could be heard within the Grimes household. There was nothing entering Roland's mind other than the wistful sound of the chords he played seamlessly. Years of practice and he still couldn't get over the beautiful instrument that he never could get sick of. It was his safety and get away from the problems within the household with his father being in a coma.

His and Rick's connection hadn't been the best growing up. He was often pushed to try and do better and follow in his father's footsteps. And with that kind of high demand, Roland found himself drifting far away from Rick's wishes. Often doing the complete opposite like going out to parties or shoplifting for Carl. Anything to show he was his own person and didn't want to be another cop like his dad.

But things were put in perspective when he saw his dad in a hospital bed. Unaware of his existence every day that he visited. It was just silence that dwelled in that hospital room as Roland thought about what he could've done differently. Maybe he could've been a little easier on his dad and try to repair that broken relationship between them. Except, there was nothing he could do. All he really could do was sit back and wish upon false fantasy's that wouldn't come true.

Which was why he didn't often leave the house for anything anymore. Usually in his or Carl's room doing whatever caught his eye or could take his mind off the bitter truth. There was no surety that Rick would wake up. Sure, the chance was there, but each passing day made the hope in Roland dwindle. Like embers to a flame that floated up into the sky before becoming burnt out. But all Roland could do was hope because if he didn't, then who would.

A knock removed Roland from his daze as the last chord he plucked at did a long 'twang' before he propped his arms on the body of the guitar. "Yeah?" The door propped open with Carl's head peaking inside with hesitance.

A tiny smile formed on the eldest sibling as he said, "What's up, bud?" Carl opened the door a little wider as he stepped inside. "Can I hang out in here? Mom's been watching the news and I've been in my room all day."

"Yeah, sure." Roland hummed as he placed his guitar behind him in the middle of his bed as Carl took a seat beside him. It was a weird sense of tension between the brothers that unsettled the oldest. The feelings he and Carl were having were very understandable and quite demanding on their mind. And although they may be having these feelings of emotions, they had to stay strong for one another. It was something their cousin Maya would tell them all the time.

Sighing, Roland looked at his little brother who seemed to be far from reality. "You wanna talk about anythin'?" He asked and the boy glanced at him before shrugging. "I don't know. I guess I just needed to be with someone." Carl guessed and Roland nodded in understanding. "You thinkin' about, dad?" Carl nodded in response as Roland hummed.

"Do you think he'll wake up?" The sudden question made Roland bite his bottom lip in conflict. Wringing his hands together as he chewed on the inside of his cheek. "I don't know, bud. We may never know if he'll wake up, but we need to be patient. For dad." He told his little brother who nodded silently.

Before either of them could comprehend what was happening, Lori burst through Roland's door. "We have to pack up, now." Both brothers glanced at each other in confusion as their mother rushed out of the room and towards her. "Why?" Carl was first to ask as he rushed to his room while Roland sighed, placing his head in his hands. "Something terrible is going on Carl, and we need to get far from home, alright? Shane is coming to get us." She told her youngest who nodded.

When she looked to her oldest, she found him non-responsive to her command. "Roland, let's go." She said sternly, but Roland merely looked up at her with annoyed eyes. "No." That one word shook Lori to her core as she stared at him incredulously. "What'd you say?" She asked, unsure if she heard correctly.

"I said, no." He repeated, standing up to his feet. "No, I won't pack up. Not after you've been glued to that fuckin' T.V. for the past week." Roland told her with a wave of his hand as he turned to his desk with a bunch of homework that still had to be done from his absence from school.

Lori walked into the boy's room, placing her hands on her hips in a motherly fashion. "Do you even know what's going on out there? What people are going through and seeing?" She questioned as Roland shrugged. "Do I care? No. I don't need to hear these conspiracy theories from you, mom." He huffed as he took a seat and propped his arm up onto the desk.

"Your father is dead."

The words slipped from Lori so smoothly it rocked Roland off-balance. He looked up at his mom shockingly with her mouth falling ajar. Completely bewildered by the claim with no evidence to back it up. His body having tensed tightly as the expression from his mother didn't seem bothered or affected by her own confession.

Opening his mouth to speak, the words fell silent as he swallowed the lump in his throat. "He's dead and you didn't bother to tell me or Carl?" He finally asked, his tone rising an octave and Lori pursed her lips. "I knew it'd prevent you from leaving, so I didn't want to say anything." She explained, causing Roland to shoot up from his spot. The chair he was sitting on to go flying behind him and hit the ground with a thud.

"You had no right!" He yelled, pointing at his mother accusingly. "You aren't able to just keep that from me or Carl because you want us to do your bidding! What the fuck is wrong with you?" The anger coursing through Roland was overwhelming. His hands were shaking, full of rage at his mother's actions that left him wanting to punch or throw something.

Shane appeared out of nowhere, looking between Lori and Roland with an apprehensive expression. Taking slow steps, he placed his hand on Lori's arm and whispered for her to get her stuff. She did with a sniffle, leaving only Roland and Shane in the boy's room. The obvious tension was suffocating for the pair.

"I went there to try and get him out of there." Shane began. "But when I got there, he was dead. Way before I even showed up. There was nothing I could've done." He confessed and Roland clasped a hand over his mouth as he felt his chest tighten. A rope around his neck and tightening with each second that passed as he tried to control the emotions wanting to seep out.

Roland closed his eyes as he wrapped his arms around Shane for a form of comfort. The older man didn't waste a second hugging the boy back. "How about Maya? Did she evacuate?" He mused as Shane sighed as he rubbed the boy's back. "I don't know, but we need to go. We can't let his death be in vein." 

But Roland was unaware of the secret and lie that was being held from not only him but the entire family. His father was still in that coma, laying in the hospital bed, unknown to what the world was turning into at that point in time.

But when he did, the world he once knew would be gone. And the only thing that would come to his head was his family. His mission was to find them, at all costs.

THANKS FOR READING!

a/n: Very short and bland so I'm sorry.