duets

"alright guys, let's gather round." mr. schue announced as he walked into the choir room.

"sorry i'm late, i was with principal figgins." he continued as he sat on the piano stool.

"bad new guys, pucks in juvie." mr. schue told the class, receiving groans of annoyance from the students.

"why am i not surprised?" harper mumbled from her seat next to santana.

"it was really just a matter of time." tina spoke up causing her peers to nod in agreement.

"what did he do?" quinn questioned.

"he drove his moms volvo through the front of a convenience store and drove off with the atm." mr. schue explained.

harper tried to subtly cover her mouth with her hand as she tried not to laugh.

"and when's he getting out." rachel asked, sounding concerned.

"unknown." mr. schue sighed.

"don't worry rachel he'll be out before our next competition, we all know that's the only thing you're worried about." harper spoke up, rolling her eyes.

rachel turned to her with a glare as santana gave her a high-five and laughed at the girls comment.

"guys, let's have some sympathy." mr. schue shouted, causing harper to flinch.

"for a guy who puts his needs before the team? we need his voice and his bad-boy stage presence!" finn bellowed, his voice echoing.

"we can't look at this as a crisis! it's an opportunity." mr. schue argued.

"for what? further embarrassment and humiliation?" quinn asked.

"for welcoming our new member, sam evans!" mr. schue cheered as he pointed towards the door, a boy with shaggy blond hair jogged into the room waving.

"hey everyone, i'm sam, sam i am, and i don't like green eggs and ham." he babbled glancing around the room.

harper giggled causing sam to smile at her.

"oh wow, he has no game." santana winced.

"okay, this is going to be great! you're not going to regret joining us." finn said as he got up to stand next to sam. "this is sam." he grinned pointing to him.

"alright, question for the group, what's a duet?" mr. schue asked, rachel's hand immediately shot up.

"a blanket." brittany spoke up.

"a duet is when two voices join to become one. great duets are like a great marriage, the singers compliment each other, push each other to be better." mr. schue explained.

"so this week i want you to pair up and sing a duet. and.." he paused.

harper glanced at artie, an exited look prominent on their faces.

"since you guys all seemed to love our little defying gravity dive off, i'm making this a competition." he finished.

"what do the winners get?" mike asked.

"dinner for two, at breadstix, on me." mr. schue announced as everyone erupted into conversation and cheers.

"i have to win." santana stated as harper turned to her with a grin.

"maybe i'll take you as my plus one." she winked at harper, causing her eyes to widen.

"i, uh, i'd love that." harper stammered as she rubbed the back of her neck.

santana smirked at her before getting up to leave the room.

-

"artie wait up!" harper called as she jogged down the hallway towards her friend.

artie spun around and smiled. "what's up?" he asked.

"well i was, uh, just wondering if you'd like to maybe be my duet partner? because you know we've sung a lot of duets together in the past and i know we sound good together so we'd actually have a shot at winning." she rambled nervously, afraid of getting rejected.

"oh harper, i'm so sorry but brittany already asked and i said yes." artie apologised with a frown.

"oh, uh, don't worry then i'm sure i can ask kurt or something, have fun with brittany." harper spoke as she quickly walked away to save herself from further embarrassment.

"i'm sorry harp, next time i promise!" artie shouted after her.

she gave him an awkward thumbs up and turned the corner.

-

harper sat next to artie in the choir room with an astonished look on her face as she watched santana and mercedes perform 'river deep, mountain high'

as the song came to an end the room erupted in cheers.

"that was amazing!" harper told santana as the girls sat back in their seats.

"of course it was." santana smiled at the girl.

"girls i have to say, that was incredible, definitely the performance to beat." mr. schue smiled as he stood in front of the class.

"is there anyone else that would like to go?" he questioned, looking around the room,

harper hesitantly raised her hand. "harper!" mr. schue pointed to her.

"i couldn't actually find a partner so i was wondering if i could maybe do a solo instead?" she mumbled.

"i guess i can make an exception." mr. schue said as he gestured for her to stand at the front.

when she reached the front she silently nodded at brad and the band, seconds later the beat to 'love story' by taylor swift echoed around the room.

harper took a deep breath and started singing along, her eyes wandering around the room to see encouraging nods from her friends.

as the music slowly faded away harper smiled slightly at the sight of her friends standing out of their seats applauding her.

"that was amazing harper well done." mr. schue smiled as she made her way back to her seat.

santana grasped her hand as she sat down. "you were amazing harper." she smiled.

"thank you." harper grinned.

-

a few days later everyone had performed their duets, some more offensive than others. "okay since everyone has now performed it's time to vote." mr. schue said as he handed everyone a piece of paper.

once everyone had written down their votes and handed them back in it was time to announce the winners.

"well, even though it looks like just about everyone voted for themselves, even those who didn't compete, we do have a winner." mr. schue said as he picked up the breadstix coupon.

"and the winner is." he started. "by two votes." he continued. "quinn and sam!" he finished with a smile.

"what?" santana fumed glaring at the couple.

"screw that i want my stix." she stood up with a furious looked etched onto her face.

harper quickly grabbed her hand before she could do anything she'd regret. santana calmed down a bit at her touch.

everyone in the room was shouting and complaining about the results of the competition. despite the chaos harper turned towards quinn and sam and mouthed a "well done" causing the pair to smile appreciatively at her.

-

a/n: and that's another chapter!! i hope you enjoyed, please remember to vote and comment.
i hope you have a great day/night <33