Chapter 22

Scott's POV

The next morning at school, I search for Kasey through the crowds in the hallway. She had some details about last night to spill to me, and some questions to answer. It was about time she and Derek admitted to their feelings for each other.

I wait by the lockers, glancing at the time. The bell was getting ready to ring, and Kasey still wasn't here yet. I scan the groups clustering the hallway and people pushing through. I couldn't even pick up her scent, but a similar one instead. Finally, I spot Gemma coming through, and her eyes land on me.

"Hey, Scott!" She calls out from across the hall, and proceeds to approach me.

"Hey, where's Kasey?" I ask, jumping straight to my point and glancing behind her just in case.

"I was just about to ask you the same thing," she gives me a strange look. "Didn't she go home with Allison?"

"No, Lou came and picked her up from the game," I answer, getting the vibe that something was definitely off.

"No, Louie was installing a new water heater at our house last night. Kasey never came home. She was supposed to be back last night," she said slowly and narrowed her eyes at me. "Allison doesn't know anything. Kasey won't answer her phone either. Louie's freaking out right now, like I was supposed to come here and find out where she went but now I can't because no one knows! Louie is going to flip..."

I waited for Gemma to finish her ramble before I set my hands on her shoulders, "Don't tell him anything until we figure out what's going on."

"He's searching for her right now, I have to tell him. She's our sister, Scott, not just... well you know," she hints at the werewolf situation.

I knew she was right. Whatever had happened, this hunter had already given us trouble. This was no time for caution.

I purse my lips, taking a second to clear my mind and think. I found myself telling her and turning away, "I have to call Derek."

Instead of staying behind as I expected, Gemma follows close behind me as I squeeze through the halls. The late bell pierced my ears, but I couldn't care less. I push through the front doors, phone already in hand. Gemma folds her arms over her chest, watching as I dial Derek.

I glance at her while I hold the phone to my ear, remembering that Louie was looking for Kasey too. I run a hand over my face, hoping that Kasey had just skipped school for the day. In the back of my mind though, I knew it wasn't the case.

"Hello?" The ringing finally stops and Derek's voice comes through the other end.

"Derek, is Kasey with you?" I ask right out, jumping to the point.

"No, I haven't seen her since the game last night. Why?"

Shit. I run a hand over my face slowly, scrambling to organize my thoughts. I lick my lips before telling him what I had hoped wasn't true, "Kasey's missing."

"Wait what? Since when? We just saw-" he blurbed without hesitation until I cut him off.

"Listen, I don't know what's going on but I'm going to figure it out. Kasey's family already knows she's gone, and Lou is out searching for her right now," I inform Derek. Gemma's eyes are alert, and she jumps in to add more.

"If he doesn't find her, he's going to take it to the police station," she hounds me to throw in that detail.

"He's going to report her missing if he can't find her," I repeat to Derek, but silence came through on the other end. "Derek?"