Chapter 15

Isaac helps me into the passenger side of Derek's car, scrambling to the other side after shutting my door. I rest my head in my hands, wiping beads of sweat from my forehead. I close my eyes and focus on steadying my breathing. I need to control it.

"Where are we going?" I ask Isaac as he peels out of the school parking lot.

"We're going... to see the vet," he pipes up, making me glance at him.

"A vet?" I hiss, raising my eyebrows. I drop my head again once my sight of Isaac blurs.

"Well, he's Scott's boss, and he's sort of more than just a vet. He can help," Isaac assures me, and I felt the car speed up more. I sit back in the seat and tilt my head up, closing my eyes. Pain shot through my insides, making me cringe and scrabble for more breaths.

I open my eyes, looking straight ahead.

The pair of red eyes glowing in the distance made my breath hitch. They neared quickly at the speed we were going, and I jolt forward in my seat, reliving that whole night for a second time.

"Kasey? Kasey, answer me," Isaac shakes my shoulder, and I look over at him. The car hadn't wrecked, their were no blood red eyes in the road.

Isaac licks his lips, "We're almost there."

Eventually the car slowed, and lo and behold, we were at the vet clinic. The letters on the sign blur in and out, but I squint at them anyway. My door opens, sending a rush of chilly air up my side. Scott hooks an arm around me, lifting me out of the car.

"What happened?" A familiar voice asks loudly in the distance. I breathe deeply, trying to make out who it was through the darkness.

"My... my drink," I pat Scott's arm with my free hand as he pulled me towards the building. Someone takes my free arm, hoisting it over a big pair of shoulders.

"Kasey, what happened?"

_________________________

I jolt awake, instantly sitting up to figure out my surroundings.

Derek's loft was dark, but the sun peeks through the curtains and leaks in from the kitchen. A blanket had been thrown over me on the couch, and I realize I wasn't in my dress anymore. Instead, I wore a pair of baggy sweats and a loose t-shirt. My hair from the dance last night held messily on my head. The dance last night... Louie is going to be so mad at me.

Isaac is sprawled out in one of the chairs, hand holding his head up as he slept. What the hell happened last night?

"How are you feeling?" Derek leans in the doorway of the kitchen.

"Like I got hit by a bus," I stretch my arms, testing my shoulders and everywhere that it ached. "What was that? What happened? My brother is going to be pissed I didn't come home, I-"

"I hope you don't mind, you weren't in any shape to go home last night. If you did, it would have raised question. I texted him off your phone and told him you were staying at Allison's," Derek winces, waiting for my reaction.

"Thanks," I breathe, feeling a little bit relaxed that that was taken care of.

"Coffee?"

"Yeah," I nod, and stand from the couch.  He helps me shrug off the blanket, and follows me into the kitchen.

I sip at my mug while he tells me that they suspected my drink had been laced with wolfsbane, at least their friend Deaton had found it in my system. It all happened after I drank from that cup, so that was the theory.

"Someone knows about you," Derek tells me, a look of concern on his face. "Did you see who laced your drink?"

"No, some girl spilled mine on me and gave me hers," I shake my head, telling him exactly what happened.