Chapter 9

Derek continued training me to fight and help adjust to my abilities. Now I was way better than I first started off, but it took dedication. Usually it was every day of the week after I got out of school, and lasted till as late as 10 at night sometimes. Now my weekends were for cramming in all my studying and school work.

Most of the time it was just Derek there, but every now and then Scott or Isaac would join us, and we took turns with fighting matches between us. It usually was a tough draw between Isaac and me, and then the other two always won versus me. I strived to beat them though, mesmerizing there key moves, and thinking of ways to counteract them.

My school work was spread out over my bed, but my mind kept wandering to training. I tap on my temple with the end of my pen, thinking of ways I could catch Derek off guard. No matter what I tried, I always ended up with my arms pinned behind me or my face on the floors of the loft.

"Kasey," Louie knocks softly on my open door.

"Hey," I say to my older brother as he welcomes himself in. He sits down in my desk chair, spinning around so he could see me.

"What are you working on?" He asks, nodding towards my homework.

"Chemistry," I say to him, and drop my pen.

"They must be loading you up," Louie scoffs. I may have told him that most days after school, I was with Scott and the others, studying and doing homework.

"Yeah, well it is my senior year," I shrug.

"Right," Louie says quietly. "So... you're hardly home during the week. Why don't you and your friends ever come over here to do homework? I'd like to meet the rest of them. I'm not that lame brother am I?"

"No, no," I deny, and quickly make up an excuse, "I just don't want Bonehead 1 and Bonehead 2 to scare them off. You know how they are."

"Well you're not wrong," Louie chuckles.

I felt bad. I know he misses me being around so much. Maybe I could organize a little something to make my brother feel like I was at least half listening to how he felt.

"You could have your friends over any time though," he adds, disregarding the fact that we had monsters for brothers. I guess I couldn't say much now though.

"Okay," I nod.

"Plus, your 18th is coming up," Louie adds with a wide grin.

"No, Lou, no. Please can we not do anything for that? It's seriously just another regular day," I beg with my hands on my head. I didn't need a whole bunch of people in one place whose attention would be on me. That's a no go.

"It's seriously your special day," he scoffs, and I knew I wouldn't get through to him. I've got to stop it somehow.

After Louie leaves my room, I let my head fall into my text book. I didn't ever mind my birthdays when it was just the family and me, but I didn't want to make it a big deal and invite every person I know now, granted they're people I know that are helping me not to kill anyone. They've done enough for me, and this was such a little thing. I didn't want them to hassle over it. I didn't want the wide range of attention either.

I shut my chemistry textbook right as I heard my phone vibrate on my night stand. I reach over for it and check the notification.

Allison: Lacrosse game tonight, wanna come?

Scott, Stiles, and Isaac were on our lacrosse team, I remember. I never actually went to any of the games, but this school work staring back at me made it seem like a good plan.