ch. 3

As dusk broke, the Guardian and the barb-a-loots were up to no good. The Lorax had gotten the animals to take the newcomers bed and push it slowly through the window, bribing the donkey to hush with the fruit of the trees.

The moon settled just right, illuminating the figures as they settled down to the river, the humming fishes singing a song they had practiced beforehand to add tension to their act.

I walked over, just behind the Guardian as the barb-a-loots settled the bed in the water. "What do you think you are doing?" My voice was just above a whisper, but still had spooked the Lorax.

"W- what are you doing up? It's late!" He spoke, walking behind me as if to direct my attention to him and not the bed.

"I could say the same for you." A grin appeared on my face, and the Lorax made a small eyeroll.

"I'm getting rid of the newcomer! Just set him in the water, and he will gently float away, away from the forest to no longer cut down another tree!" He spoke in triumph, as if the deed had already been done.

In the water, slowly floating, the acquaintance snores aloud, the Guardian patting the backs of the barb-a-loots.
"Nice work, you guys! I couldn't have done it without you!" He smiled, but our faces dropped as the youngest barb-a-loot poked his head from the floating bed and waved.

"Oh no." I grumbled, pinching the bridge of my nose.

"Can he swim?" The Lorax asked, anxious. A nearing barb-a-loot shook their head. "Of course he can't swim! Hang on Pipsqueak! I'm coming to get you!"

We all raced down the bank, with the help of the other animals. The fish were directed to latch onto the bed and slow it down, but had only grabbed the cloth blanket covering the lone man and cub. The cub was snatched, cradled in the now cold mans arms as he continued to sleep.

"The tree!" I shouted, and the bears began hopping on the tree, weighing it down to their best ability. The last, heaviest bear, refused to climb, scared of the height. The Lorax, of course, made him go up anyways. Creating a chain, the Lorax made his way to the bottom, grabbing at the cub.

"C'mon, Pipsqueak, give me your hand! Come reach for the Lorax!" He whispered, reaching forth. The cub raised its arms, only to pluck a ripe fruit from the tree.

"Great!" I muttered, running down the bank.
The Once-ler placed his foot in the water, having rolled on his side in his sleep and directed the boat to go to the left side of the river, to the dangerous falls. "Guardian!" I yelled after the Lorax. "I've got an idea! Be ready to catch!" I jumped from the bank, soaring onto the bed and snatching the cub, promptly throwing him to the orange being and grabbing onto the bed as it dipped, tilting underwater before becoming upright again.

"Ive got him!" The Lorax yelled out, holding Pipsqueak in his arms. I nodded and turned to a gasping coughing Once-ler.

"Wha- what's happening? Where am I?" He questioned, dazed.

The Lorax, still running along the bank, gave a warning. "We got trouble, and it's coming up fast!"

I looked over the Once-lers shoulders. "The falls." I whispered before looking to him. "I'm gonna need you to hang onto the bed, and jump when I tell you!"

"We're in a river!" He yelled, kicking towards the foot of the bed and hanging on the guardrail. I sat nearing the middle, there not being enough room to sit in the very back by the Once-ler. The waves crashed, nearly drowning out the loud screaming from the man behind me, the rocks directing the bed back and forth, shoving us to the open drop. One of the bumps launched him forward, and we hit the front of the guardrail.