ch. 5

"Everybody needs a thneed, a fine thing that all people-"
His jingle was cut short by a tomato hitting his face.

He was rather brave for trying to sell his product, but the townspeople thought otherwise.

Unfortunately, he didn't sell the first day
Or the next day either. The townspeople even went as far as sending a little girl to grab his guitar and go to smash it.

Quickly, I lunged and grabbed the butt end, glaring at her viciously. "Unhand it now, you brat." I stared at her until she finally let it go, sobbing and running off into the crowd.

He didnt sell the day after that either, nor the following week. But one of the businesses, the produce cart had cash flooding in by the amount of people trying to throw tomatoes at the poor man.

Though we went from the forest to the town empty handed, I still rather enjoyed the adventuring out in the town's, and getting to know more about the Once-ler. He didn't talk much of his family, just the few pieces here and there of memories he had. Memories that... Didn't seem as great as he thought they were. He was neglected for some part of his childhood and bullied by siblings, though he had told me it was to 'toughen him up' and 'it was just boys messing around'. This is not one that I liked very much, this reasoning, so I would show him fun and we would look around the shops.

"What do you think of this?" He asked one day. We were at a store of clothing, and he had taken a red shirt.

"Its a nice color, but I don't believe it matches your color scheme all that well." I giggled, grabbing a nice green shirt. "Try this one!"

He grabbed it from my offering hands, our fingers brushing one another. My cheeks felt warm and he looked embarrassed, face reddening as he took the shirt and tried it on.

It looked better then the red. "You look ravishing." I grinned, circling around him. "I definitely think green is your color."

"You think so?" He asked, staring at the mirror. Our eyes met through the mirror, and I placed my hand at his bicep.

"I'm sure of it." I looked up at him and couldn't help but blush. He was dashing. I didn't understand what this feeling was, but I didn't seem to be the only one with it, and honestly I liked it.

Afyer a few more days of tries and fails, the Once-ler had enough dealing with the townsfolk bullying him about the thneed.

"That's it! You know what? I'm done with this thing!" He yelled, grabbing the thneed and tossing it aimlessly. I ran after him as he stomped his way to the cart.

"I still believe it's a good idea." I called out after him, and he stopped.

"Some things just.. Arent meant to be. Its fine." He continued walking to the cart.

The trip home was rather quiet. Usually, on the way there and back, we had much conversation, taking about the day, the stores, new ideas to sell the thneed. Today, I realized, he just needed his space.

An idea popped on my head, and I started to stray from the Once-ler. "I nearly forgot something! Let me get it!"

He stopped moving. "Are you sure you don't want me to come with?" He asked, and I gave him a big smile.

"Don't worry, I'll find my way back from here, go take a break." I winked, then rushed off into the forest as he made his way back towards the tent. I hadn't noticed it till I looked back to him, seeing a small smile and even smaller flush.

When I came back, the smell of pancakes flourished in the cool summer breeze. I grinned, this would be perfect! I quickly opened the door, seeing the Once-ler making pancakes while the animals ate it. I gleemed, setting the surprise in a bowl. It was berries, only usually found along the forest line, nearing town. Though in a visible spot, they were rather hard to find, but they were delicious.