ch. 8

The Lorax and I began to hold together the animals, ensuring not one got left behind. Upon making our way from the area to the hill, there was a the van the family had came in, seemingly stopping to chat with the man in green, only to barely hear an audible, "Brett! You are now my favorite child." Before driving off till they could no longer be seen.

The Lorax ran ahead, sitting on a rock while i gathered the animals to walk towards where they could find a better home to be in. We all begrudgingly made our way to, and the Once-ler spoke.

"Look, I don't want any trouble."

"And you dont get any. Not from them. Thanks to you and your hacking, smogging, and glupping, they can't live here anymore." The animals continued walking forth, looking around to what used to be their home. "So, I'm sending them off. Hopefully they'll be able to find a better place out there somewhere." The Guardian spoke.

The Once-ler finally took notice of everyone in the herd, there being his donkey. "Melvin?" He called out.

Melvin only turned his head and continued on.

"Hey, pipsqueak!" He called out to another, the small barb-a-loot cub. "Hey." His voice was softer as he held out a small marshmallow, hoping for it to reconnect an old bond between them. The young barb-a-loot looked up at him with sorrowful eyes and looked away, continuing with the crowd.

One last desperate plea. "Y/n.."

Our eyes met, but they no longer brought me the joy they once did. He still wore green, the color I had told looked best on him.  "Y/n. I'm.. Im sorry." He hung his head low. "Please, forgive me."

"You were right, you know. Things don't always work out." I felt choked up and a stray tear left my eyes. "I won't be with a man who would let everything go before the animals, the forest. Before me. Goodbye, Once-ler." Taking one last look at him, I turned and caught up with the herd quickly, not bearing to look back.

Unspoken words between the Once-ler and the Lorax. Unspoken words that told the other that though they were the last to be, they wouldn't stay. He grabbed a patch of fur at the bottom of his back and lifted himself into the air, as light as a feather, not to be seen till the time was right.

The only thing left behind for the Once-ler was a giant rock circle, the largest one having the words chiseled into them; unless.

It would take years of regret and one hopeful boy to help the Once-ler realize what that one world would come to mean.