Chapter 18

Special thanks to TheatreNerd465 hennessytalks   CrystalTourmaline  for being absolutely rad.

But also I love all my readers too! Stay fresh, folks❤️✨

Mae

But surprisingly, I do.

I drag myself to school with the doubt of my supposed new friends, but I brighten up when they continue talking to me at school. Phew, they’re still here. I honestly thought they were going to leave me alone after my first day.

To be honest, they’re fun to be with. Ryder’s really good with breaking the awkwardness with (sometimes weird) questions and Nathan’s funny too - without his shyness - and he also talks in references which I understand (Ryder also knows some of them). But sometimes, I think that they share one brain cell. Okay, maybe most of the time.

And - oh, heck - I can really see the love in Ryder’s eyes whenever he looks at Nathan. It’s so cute to watch and sometimes Nathan would catch his eyes and just look at him, confused, while Ryder completely flusters. Damn, I have a feeling something beautiful is about to happen.

A couple of weeks into our friendship and here we are chilling in the library during lunch. Ryder and Nathan are both sharing a Guinness Book of World Records while I sit opposite them with a Fruits Basket manga in my hand (I didn’t know this school library even has manga). I had to stop myself multiple times from openly fangirling about how cute they look together.

I lazily twirl my hair around my finger - I dyed the ends purple this time. Then, minutes later, Nathan excuses himself to go to the toilet. I wait until he’s out of earshot, then I put my manga down and lean towards Ryder.

“You like him, don’t you?” I smirk.

Ryder’s cheeks turn scarlet immediately. “Oh god, Mae. You too?”

“Yeah, me too,” I say and he rolls his eyes at me. “Have you told him?”

Ryder looks panicked. “Of course not,” he whisper-screams. “I don’t even know if he’s gay. What do I do?”

I rack my brain. Shit, I’m not good at giving advice. “Why don’t you, uh. . . tell him whenever you’re ready? It doesn’t necessarily have to be that he likes you back or. . .” I trail off, shrugging. “I don’t know, man.”

“Hmm. . .” Ryder nods, a thoughtful look on his face. “Yeah, that’s true.” And I let out a relieved sigh, glad that my advice actually sounds plausible.

“Nathan’s hella adorable.”

“I know!” He swoons. “He’s so precious.”

I take a look at his love-struck face and stifle a laugh. I can't believe this is the same hot guy who acts cool and composed most of the time.

Ryder notices me staring at him and regains his nonchalant look. "What?"

There he is. I shake my head. "Nothing! Nothing, nothing. Just that this version of you is amusing to watch."

"Fuck off, Mae," he replies, one corner of his mouth smiling.

I smirk. "Simp."

He sticks his tongue out like a child and I shake my head, smiling as I return to my book.

“What did I miss?” Nathan suddenly manifests out of thin air, taking his seat beside a flustered Ryder.

I open my mouth to throw in a lame excuse when Ryder swoops in again. “I was thinking that you both join me and the guys at the bubble tea shop after school.”