Chapter 7 - Peanut Butter & Banana Sandwiches

My eyes popped open. I groaned and rubbed a hand down my face, "G.I. Blues" running through my noggin. What time was it? I allowed my eyes to adjust to the darkness, and I read the clock on my nightstand. 2:14.

"You've gotta be kiddin' me," I said groggily and rubbed my eyes. I lay on my back and stared up at the ceiling. When was the last time I got over five hours of sleep in a night? Maybe before I became famous. Even during the army, I couldn't sleep no more than five hours. My body became used to it. Who knew if it would go back?

I blew air out of my mouth and stayed there for a few minutes. I wouldn't be able to fall back sleep, so I might as well get up and do something. My stomach growled. Maybe getting a late-night snack wouldn't be a bad idea.

I got out of bed and walked out of my spacious bedroom, rubbing my face. I felt my dark bangs brushing my forehead, but I paid them no heed. I wasn't going to see anyone this late.

I made my way down the hallways but stopped right at the top of the stairs. I looked down the hallway where the hired help had their rooms. Well, the women. The men stayed down another hallway on the first floor.

Megan sleeping came to mind. Boy, how I would love to see that beautiful sleeping face again. I smirked at the thought and went down the stairs. Everything was dark... aside from a light shining into the dining room. Did someone forget to turn off the kitchen light?

I turned into the dining room and saw into the kitchen. My heart jumped, and I hid behind the wall, my heart beating faster. Someone was in there. I peeked into to the kitchen. My eyes widened to see the back of a woman with long, shiny, wavy brown hair going to her elbows. She was wearing a light-blue-colored robe that tied at the waist, showing how tiny her waist was. Pajama pants of the same color were coming out from the bottom of the robe, and she was barefooted.

Heat rushed up my neck at realizing that this was Megan.

I hid myself again and plowed a hand through my hair, trying to fix it the best I could. Of all people to be in the kitchen when my stomach was rumbling, and at a quarter after two in the morning!

My stomach rumbled again, and I grimaced. The others in the house probably heard that. I looked down at my bare feet, and I realized that I was in my shiny black silk pajamas. And of all times for me not to change. I didn't think I had to, but now...

"Elvis?"

My heart jumped to my throat as I looked up and saw Megan standing there in front of me, folding her arms, and an amused smirk on her pink lips.

Good Lord in heaven, she was a sight to behold with her wavy hair down and framing her face. I stared at her, not saying a thing, stunned.

"Elvis?" she coaxed, and I jumped out of my trance.

"Megan. What are you doin' up at this hour?"

"My guess is the same reason that you are. I couldn't sleep, and my stomach was about to eat me alive, so I came down here for a snack."

I nodded. "You're right. You came down here for the same reason as me. I just didn't wanna disturb ya."

She waved a hand and smiled, making her eyes gleam. "Oh no, more the merrier. I was just figurin' out what to make myself."

She went back into the kitchen, and I followed her. The cupboards were open, revealing their contents. It looked like Mrs. Brighten stopped at the market. "There's quite a lot to choose from," I said, and I leaned against the counter kitty-corner to the counter the cupboards were over and the one Megan was by. It was the one the sink was in.

"That's exactly why I'm havin' a hard time here. So many options. I wish that there was this much in here that time your manager was over, and I freaked out a bit tryin' to scrounge up somethin'."