Chapter 10 - To the Rescue

You're too nice for your own good. While that can be a good thing, it can be a bad thing, too. It causes people to stomp all over ya. That's what the Colonel has been doin' as long as he's been your manager. You just go along with whatever he says like a loyal dog. You don't fight. This is your life he's controllin'. Why don't you do somethin' about it?

Megan's words had been ringing in my ears constantly for the past week. She told me a similar thing back on the first day I met her, but this time, she said it with tears in her eyes. Seeing her in such a state hurt my heart, especially since I cared about her, and hearing those words cut me to the core.

She was right.

"Hey, Elvis."

I looked over through my tinted sunglasses from my long pool chair that I lay on. Today was one of my free days, and I chose to spend half of it outside by the pool, the pool just outside of Dad's house. Once dinner hit, I would be inside strumming my guitar. "Hey, Daddy."

He sat on the pool chair next to me, but he sat on the side of it so he could face me. "Enjoyin' the nice weather, huh? I don't blame ya."

"Yeah, I thought today would be a nice day to get some sun."

"Like you need any more of a tan. You have it natural. You get that from your momma's Indian heritage."

I smirked. "Yeah, I know."

A couple minutes passed, and the birds chirped in the trees around. The warm sun hit my bare legs because I wore black shorts, and I wore a white tank top, so my arms warmed up as well. My father still sat there, eyeing me. "You alright, Elvis?"

I didn't answer right away. "Yeah, I'm fine."

"That doesn't sound convincing. Even the papers are sayin' you're seemin' mopey. It's Megan, it's it?"

Her words rang in my head again. "I suppose she has somethin' to do with it."

"Or she has everythin' to do with it," he corrected. "Ever since the Colonel kicked 'er out, your mood's been different."

He knew exactly what went down in the house that day, both downstairs and up. I took my sunglasses off, instantly wincing because of the bright sun, and I sat up, bent my knees up and rested my arms on them. "Daddy... do ya think Megan was right in what she said 'bout me?"

He let out a sigh. "Well, if you want my honest opinion... yes." I frowned, and he took hold of my arm. I met his gaze, and I saw a gentleness that had been there all my life. "Elvis... you are such a good man, and I couldn't be more proud of ya for the good person that you've become and have stayed such even after you became famous. You always think of other people, and you never let your head get too big."

I should be touched by those words, but I just felt rotten. "My kindness has allowed people to take advantage of me, especially the Colonel. It hurts that Megan was right. She basically said that I'm a weakling and I don't fight my battles."

He shook my arm a little. "Because you're a good person, Elvis, like I said. I think that Megan was just sayin' that this is your life and you should be able to do what you want with it. Yes, a manager is there to give you ideas, but all in all, you should live it the way you want to, to speak up when you don't agree with somethin'."

I nodded, taking that in. "So... I should either fight the Colonel or fire 'im."

Daddy brought his hand back. "If you ask me, I think you should acquire a little backbone and fight. I think you should start off with getting that Miss Brighten back here. I like 'er, and I like 'er for you."

My heart jumped at that. "What?"

"You know what I mean, son. That girl is a blessing, and someone who has genuinely made you happy when your work hasn't. Go and get 'er and let me deal with the Colonel afterwards, okay?"