Chapter 8 - A Few Too Many

The top of my head heated from the sun beating down on it. It was a warm spring day, the warmest so far this year. It was the perfect day to leave the mansion and visit Allison at her house. We both sat in her backyard that was free of any trees. I pulled some grass out of the earth as Allison stared at me. And stared.

"Your gaze is gonna to bore a hole in my head," I commented with a smirk.

"I just... how they heck were ya tellin' the truth all this time?"

Her cute drawl came out in a wave. We had the same drawl, but I liked hers more than mine. I always had, ever since we met back when we were both almost six. Our birthdays were almost the same. She was older than me by exactly two weeks, with her birthday being on the 20th of September. "That's simple. I've just been tellin' the truth. Where do ya think Momma has been all this time, huh?"

"Just workin' for some rich family, not The King. I thought you were jokin' the whole time, and when you said you were goin' to that same house, I just thought that it was that same rich family." Her face flushed with pink. She had light skin to go along with her white-blonde hair that was pulled up. She was the picture of a blonde Southern belle. "Oh heavens, so you've been livin' with The King for the past month!"

"I have."

Her face turned more pink, and she put her hands on her cheeks. "Oh my, I can't even imagine it! You're in the same house where he sleeps, where he eats, where he showers..." She squealed. "What I would give to have that opportunity!"

I laughed at my flustered best friend. "Allison, he's just a man. A pretty famous and talented one, but still just a man. He's really nice and has a good heart in 'im." I smiled as I fiddled with the grass some more. "He's really sweet and cares for people... and he's a gentleman."

I recalled the moments that Elvis and I had together, all the times that we locked gazes. I looked up and saw Allison's face right in front of mine, her hands off of her own. I jumped at her sudden nearness. "You've fallen for 'im," she surmised.

My eyes widened, and she gave me a look that dared me to contradict her. "What? No, no. I'm just sayin' that he's a nice man. We're friends. That's it."

"Uh-huh," she said, not convinced. "No woman in their right mind wants to be just friends with Elvis Presley, especially you. I remember you always kissin' his face on the new records you got of 'im. You can't tell me that you're not in love with 'im, because you are."

"It was a celebrity crush, that's all."

"Yeah, now it's somthin' else since you know 'im personally," she argued. "Now tell me, what has happened between the two of ya?"

Heat flooded my cheeks. "Nothin', I'm tellin' ya, Allison! He has just heard me play the piano, sang along with me sometimes, and comforted me when I was down. And he sang to comfort me, mind you."

She sat back in her spot and let out a long sigh. "Well, that's no fun at all. You would think a star would take advantage of having a perty little miss in his house."

Her eyes twinkled, and my chest pinched in annoyance. "Allison, he's not like that, and neither am I! You know that! I wouldn't fling myself at a man like some people I know."

I gave her a pointed look, and she waved a hand nonchalantly. "Aw, c'mon, I'm not like that, either." I quirked up a brow, and I knew she knew I was thinking about how she flung herself at one of the star ball players at school, and that ended in a train wreck and tears. "Okay, well, maybe to some degree. But really, this is Elvis Presley we're talkin' 'about!"

"Exactly. He's a good person, and he doesn't deserve the kind of treatment people give 'im."

"What do ya mean?"