twenty-two

- Sunday, 11:46am - 

Today is the day I move out, and I'm so excited that I woke up early at around 6 o'clock because my heart started beating so fast.

Suna is set to pick me and my minimal luggage at 12. It won't be hard to move in; all I need to pack is my clothes, my little bits and pieces that I've bought over the years, and some of my smaller pieces of furniture that my connection with is too strong to leave them behind.

I've packed, I've talked things over with my parents, I've changed my registered address for mail and my credit cards and license. All that's left to do is say goodbye to the house I grew up in.

I walk around the house slowly, taking in everything I've ever known...

And letting it go.

I let my fingers trace the walls of the house, the peeling wallpaper in the hallway leading to the bathroom, the decaying flowers in a vase on my mother's bedside table. 

This house hasn't felt like home for years.

For years I hadn't felt like I had a home. Home is somewhere you run when the outside world becomes overwhelming. This house overwhelmed me just as much as the outside world.

The clock in the living area ticks, making the seconds feel like hours. Everything is quiet. The tick-tocks of the clock seem so loud, they're all I can focus on.

"Goodbye," I whisper to the walls. To the ceiling. To the floor. To every room in the house.

I won't miss it.

Suna picks me up at 12, as we agreed. 

Piling my luggage in the back of his car, I climb into the front seat, Suna grinning as soon as I get in. He doesn't need to tell me why he's so happy; I feel the same way for the same reason.

"I have to run an errand before we go to my apartment, is that okay?" Suna asks me, and I nod, simply happy to be in the same car as him.

He places his hand on my thigh and my heart flutters, turned on by his gesture. Moments from intimate nights in Suna's apartment run through my mind, making me crave more of his touch.

With his other hand, he steers with his palm on the wheel, which is oddly attractive. We turn down my street, heading into the little group of shops in the middle of our suburb, where our first date was set. We pass the arcade we played in for ours, the jewelry shop where Suna bought our promise rings, the café where we work together.

Everything reminds me of him. Him, him, him.

Suna parks the car, releasing my thigh to move the gearstick into parking mode. He gets out and opens the door for me, locking the car with a click of the button on his key. I follow him into a shop labelled "pet store", a little nervous about what we're here for.

I watch as my boyfriend talks to the person at the front desk, who eventually goes behind into the storage part of the shop and brings out a pet-carrier. Suna swipes his card and keys his pin in, and when the transaction is complete, he leads the way back to the car, carrier case in hand.

Bewildered and awestruck, I follow him back to his car, with him handing me the carrier case like it's nothing.

No explanation.

The case is navy blue and white, heavy, and it seems to be breathing.

Shaking my head at the audacity Suna has to go in there and by a pet without consulting the girl moving in with him, I peek inside the case.