Chapter 9

Legolas sat down on his bed and broke open the seal on the letter. Night had fallen, and it was by the light of the candelabra in his bedroom that the Prince unfolded the single piece of paper. At once he had recognised Tauriel's loopy, scrawling handwriting and smiled at it, despite the pain in his heart. The letter bore the Rivendell seal, and had been written on Rivendell paper, with Rivendell ink. Legolas wondered briefly why Tauriel had not left him the letter in his father's Halls.

My dear Legolas,

By the time you read this, I will have departed Middle Earth and sailed west to Valinor. It was my own decision to leave. After the events at Ravenhill, I heard the call across the sea, and chose to follow it. Do not blame yourself as I know in part you will; there is nothing you could have done to change the outcome of that day, or my actions afterwards.

Protect and fight for that which is good in this world. There is so much good, Legolas. There is darkness and danger and evil as well, of course, but good always triumphs, does it not? Part of me wishes I could be there to continue the good fight with you, but I have given my all and have found my peace. I pray you find love and friendship and happiness and hope. Fight for these things for they are worth every breath. You deserve them. 

My heart breaks for what I have lost, but I regret none of my actions. This was my path, my choosing, and I would not change a moment of it. I shall await your arrival, one day, upon a distant shore where we shall meet once more. 

Yours,

Tauriel.

Legolas finished reading and put the letter down on the bed beside him. He felt strange, as though he were both empty and full at once. He looked at his hands. Legolas had no desire to leave Middle Earth. He felt no call across the sea. He closed his eyes. He knew where he must travel next. Earlier in the day, Legolas had ended up spending a few hours in the study talking with Lord Elrond whilst Aragorn had eaten, bathed and slept. After a meal and bath himself, Legolas told Aragorn all he had learnt. They could wait a week before moving on, a fortnight at most, although Aragorn would likely wish to leave sooner rather than later.

The Prince stood up and wandered out onto the balcony. The cool evening breeze drifted around him, lightly blowing his hair. The bright moon masked many of the stars in its light, but still the night was beautiful. A small smile crept onto Legolas's lips. Never in any light was Rivendell anything but beautiful. Now, bathed in moonlight, the multiple waterfalls cascading down into the ravine below glowed silver. The breeze pushed fallen leaves against the Prince's bare feet.

"Legolas?"

Legolas turned around and saw Aragorn's silhouette in the bedroom. "Out here." He felt more himself now after spending a little time outside, and was glad for the company.

Aragorn pushed past the light curtains and stepped out onto the balcony. He came and stood beside Legolas, and looked out across the city and into the night. "How come your room has a better view than mine?"

"It befits my station, no doubt?" Legolas teased. He wanted to be happy, and found it easy to be so in the company of the Ranger.

Aragorn smiled and gave his friend a nudge. "I have just been at supper. You will never believe what was served."

"What?" Legolas asked, humouring his friend.

"Freshwater oysters," Aragorn grinned. He looked less rugged after a bath, a shave, his hair combed and in a clean brocaded tunic and trousers. "Not as good as the ocean variety, mind you, but since we missed that little detour…"

Legolas could smell on the Ranger's breath that something a little more potent than oysters had been served at supper and laughed. "I hope my presence was not greatly missed." He had avoided the meal on purpose, having supped on a light meal earlier in the evening, and preferring for his own company for a little while at least. He would surely have time enough with his Rivendell friends.

"Not at all," Aragorn said, "The twins and others present were more than happy to hear tales of my epic adventures."

"Such as the time you ended up waist-deep in slimy marsh water after I told you that going that way would not be a short-cut?"

"I may have omitted that one," Aragorn laughed. Legolas smiled. Aragorn had not laughed at the time, and Legolas had wondered where the Ranger had learnt such creative curse words. "But you were not the only apology at supper," Aragorn continued.

"Who else?" Legolas asked, wondering who else may have been absent.

"Lord Elrond. Highly conspicuous by high absence," Aragorn said, "And what is the point," Aragorn asked boisterously, waving his arms about, "Of your folk living for thousands upon thousands of years if when something like this happens, you still have no idea as to what to do?"

Legolas learnt against the balustrade and looked up at the stars, and felt that strange empty-full feeling return. He knew as to what the Ranger was referring. "Events such as this have never before occurred in Middle Earth," Legolas said. What was happening could spell the end of all things, should Sauron succeed. Not even Lord Elrond, as wise and as old as he was could find a clear way out of all the trouble. Legolas knew that Aragorn spoke half in jest, but there were many truths in what the Ranger said too.

"Something bothers you, does it not?" Aragorn asked.

Legolas looked at his friend.

"Is it the letter?"

"You read it?" Legolas accused, taking offence. True, he had left it lying open on the bed, but all the same that letter was not for prying eyes.

"Of course not," Aragorn said honestly. "I saw only your name and that of the author. Such words are not for my eyes."

Legolas nodded. He felt relived, and also foolish for suspecting Aragorn would betray his privacy. Surely he knew and trusted the Ranger more than that by now. "Tauriel has sailed to Valinor. She is long gone now, but she found her peace."

Aragorn gave Legolas a friendly nudge on the arm. Legolas forced a smile. Aragorn smiled warmly, and did not feel the need to say anything. The two stood, watching the stars for some time.

"Where to next?" Aragorn asked breaking the silence. He turned and looked at Legolas. "Lord Elrond and I can only avoid one another for so long before it looks suspicious. I cannot linger here."

Legolas nodded. "We continue east."

"East?" Aragorn asked, "We do not return north? We have some months before winter falls."

"Exactly, so we must cross the mountains before the snows begin."

Aragorn furrowed his brow. "How far east are we to go?"

"Is your head so muddled by the wine that you need me to say it, mellon-nin?" Legolas smiled.

"Really?" Aragorn asked, raising his eyebrows, before a yawn escaped him.

"Really," Legolas said. "Go and sleep. We must stay at least a week out of courtesy."

Aragorn nodded. "I shall see you on the morn. Bright and early. I wish to show up the twins in the training yard."

"Sleep well."

"Do you intend to sleep tonight?" Aragorn asked.

"Go, or it shall be dawn, and you still on out here!"

"Goodnight," Aragorn said, and disappeared back through Legolas's chamber. The Prince turned back to the stars. He would not sleep tonight; gazing at the stars, bursting with memory and wisdom, would provide rest enough. Legolas prayed they would show him the way. The evening breeze kissed his cheeks and swirled his hair. Legolas smiled. The stars would lead him home.