Chapter 11

The entrance to the Woodland Realm loomed before them as Aragorn and Legolas approached the kingdom. The guards at the door recognised their Prince by sight, and opened the doors for the two to enter.

"My Lord Legolas," a brown-haired elf said, stepping forward to greet them.

"Well met, Elrosse," Legolas said in greeting. "We require urgent audience with my father."

"Of course, my Lord," Elrosse said, "If you will follow me. The King is in the throne room."

Legolas followed Elrosse, Aragorn close behind, marvelling at the sight before him. Legolas's descriptions of the Halls of the Woodland Realm had not come close to preparing the Ranger for what he now saw. It seemed to be lighter within the Halls than it had outside, rock carved into pillars which reached staggering heights and carved to make archways and walkways and balconies, pathways wound throughout the vast space of what was, technically, a cave with thin waterfalls cascading throughout.

"Aragorn," Legolas said.

"Oh," Aragorn breathed, taking in the beauty of the Prince's home.

Legolas smiled. "Close your mouth," he whispered.

Aragorn snapped his teeth together, and then grinned at the Prince. Legolas smiled and continued along the winding pathway. He looked around his home, and tried to see it with fresh eyes, the way Aragorn was. The waterfalls, the lighting streaming in from above, places where you could see a hundred feet down, and a hundred feet up. The Halls of King Thranduil truly were a wonder of elven engineering and architecture.

Aragorn gave Legolas a nudge, "Is that it?" he asked, gesturing to what looked like a room floating right in the very middle of the Halls, his voice full of awe.

"My father's throne room and out destination, aye," Legolas replied.

"My imagination did not do your home justice," Aragorn breathed.

"I can tell," Legolas smiled.

A few minutes later they approached the throne room. "My Lord Thranduil," Elrosse said by way of introduction.

King Thranduil, who stood before them, turned and faced the guests. "Ah," he said. "Leave us," the King commanded, and Elrosse and the two guards near by took their leave.

Aragorn forced himself to look composed, when he was in fact still completely in awe of his surroundings, and now also of the majestic King.

"So Legolas of the Woodland Realm returns, and brings with him a welcome guest," Thranduil said formally. Aragorn was unsure as to whether he was supposed to say anything or not, so stayed silent. "Aragorn of the Dúnedain," Thranduil said, "You are most welcome to the Woodland Realm."

Aragorn gave an embarrassed bow. He noticed that the only chair in the space was the King's throne positioned high above the platform on which they stood, embellished by a pair of massive elk antlers. Aragorn tried to catch Legolas's eyes for a hint of what he was supposed to be doing, but Legolas looked straight at his father. "It is an honour to meet you," Aragorn said awkwardly.

"You come with news from west," Thranduil said. He would suffer no niceties, preferring to get straight to matters of business.

"We come from Rivendell," Legolas said. He looked at his father and made a mental note of the fact that the King was completely unarmed.

"You come with news of Black Riders."

"You know?" Legolas asked, not completely surprised. The Prince found his father's expression difficult to read, but that was not uncommon. Thranduil had long mastered the skill of not allowing others to know what he was thinking if he did not wish it.