Chapter 12

Autumn wore on and winter came, and Legolas and Aragorn spent the months within the warmth and protection of the Halls of the Woodland Realm. Aragorn enjoyed being amongst the company of elves once more. Legolas and Aragorn were seldom out of one another's company. They dined together, trained together, and would explore the hidden passageways of the Woodland kingdom together. Every so often they would be called to see the King, but generally Thranduil left the pair to do as they would, and kept his counsel to himself.

On the day of Aragorn's birthday, the Legolas and Aragorn set out for a hike. The day's weather looked to be clear, and much of the eastern parts of the forest Legolas wished to show his friend. After the long winter months they were beginning to feel a little cramped within the Halls, and longed to be amongst the trees with the sky overhead once more. Legolas led their climb to the top of one of the mountains of Mirkwood, up where the air was fresh, and the bright, crisp blue sky shone overhead. Upon reaching the top, they were rewarded with a spectacular view, with Erebor and Esgaroth visible to the north and the feint outline of the Misty Mountains to the west.

Aragorn grinned as he turned around, taking it all in. "It is quite a view," he said.

Legolas smiled, pleased that Aragorn liked it. "We are fortunate the day is clear."

"Do you come up here often?" the Ranger asked.

"I used to," Legolas said, a hint of sadness in his voice, "But this past year aside, it has been long since I have done anything but protect my kingdom. Returning up here, I can see what it was all for."

"You are lucky to have a home to protect," Aragorn said. He sat down upon the rocky ground, facing south, the midday sun warming his back.

Legolas sat down beside him. "Some say we could have kept more of these lands safe if only my father would venture beyond his borders. But every time our folk leave our homeland, fewer make the return journey." Legolas looked out to the south over the seemingly endless sea of trees. Many of the lands to the south were familiar to him only in the stories his father had told him long ago.

Aragorn crossed his legs and poked at the rocks on the ground. He felt solemn and even a little downcast, despite the beauty of the view surrounding them. "What if I never grow to be the man they want me to be?"

"Who? Lord Elrond?"

"Everyone," Aragorn murmured. "What if I do not want the future they have set for me? What if I can not do it?"

Though he could not see beyond the sea of trees, Legolas half convinced himself that he could see all the way south, past Emyn Muil and the Dead Marshes, where so many of his ancestors and kin still lay. "Be it one year, be it ten or more," he said to Aragorn, "Whenever the time comes, I will come with you, Aragorn. I will go with you into the very heart of Mordor itself, if that is where your path leads."

Aragorn shuddered at the thought and continued to poke at the ground. "I do not ask you to do this. This is your home. You belong with your people."

"This is our world," Legolas said, "We would not have our home if I cannot save our world. Whatever you need of me, Aragorn, be it my bow and knives, or to be your captain or lieutenant or,"

"My friend," Aragorn said. He looked sideways at Legolas. "I just need you to be my friend."

Legolas gave a small smile. "Always. You have my confidence and my trust. My friendship."

Aragorn gave a rue smile. "I never believed my most trusted friend to be a Woodland Prince."

Legolas smiled, and then caught Aragorn's eye. "I mean it though," he said sincerely. "The storm of war is brewing on the horizon. We cannot escape from it. How soon the wind shall blow it in, we do not yet know, but the storm will come and veil the stars. But how ever dark the night becomes, Aragorn, I am with you."

Aragorn looked at the ground once more. "I know," he sighed. He did not wish to be responsible of Legolas's fate as well as his own. As well as that of all of Middle Earth. "And what if I'm not who you think I am?" Aragorn muttered, his original worry still at the forefront of his mind, despite Legolas's reassurances.

"Aragorn, stay a Ranger. Become the King. I do not care. Whatever it is you chose, I am with you. To whatever end."

Aragorn continued to stare at the ground. The only other person he relied on and trusted entirely was the Lady Arwen. Perhaps it would be not so bad to have Legolas by his side. They had travelled together for a year, and though in the live of an elf that was next to nothing, Aragorn had a feeling that some years mattered more to elves than others. "I know," he said.

Legolas gave a nod and stood up. "We must be returning. Nightfall shall soon be upon us, and I do not wish to be caught out after dark. Come Aragorn, for I do believe a feast awaits us."

Aragorn pulled himself to his feet. "So this whole day has been but a ruse to get me out of the Halls? I did not know elves celebrated birthdays."

"On the whole, we do not, for they come often and we have so many. But my father felt the need for an excuse for a party, and you provide a very good one."

Aragorn could not help but roll his eyes and his lips threatened to smile.

They began their descent back down the mountain, Aragorn's mind still full of Legolas's prior words. To whatever end. He looked at the blonde princeling leading the way and stopped.

"Legolas?"

Legolas stopped and turned back to Aragorn.

"Hannon-le," the Ranger said.

A smile crept onto Legolas's face. He put his hand to his heart and held it out to Aragorn before continuing down the mountainside.

Aragorn smiled.