Epilogue

Legolas fidgeted aimlessly as he wandered around his chambers. On his bed lay his cloak, bow, quiver and knives. Everything was ready to go. Everything was packed. He was now just passing time, waiting for word that it was time to depart. He re-straightened the already straight papers on his desk. Everything was perfect. His room was spotless. Everything had been packed. Everything was ready. Legolas knew his thoughts were going in circles. Now, all he needed to was to leave. He turned to the door.

"Ada?" The Prince said, surprised to see the King standing there. He had not heard his father enter.

"All is in order?" Thranduil asked, looking around the spotless room.

Legolas stood awkwardly by his desk. He had not been expecting his father to call on him. "Are they ready to depart?" the Prince asked. He had assumed a server or steward would be sent to fetch him, and the King would merely wave him on his way. Legolas was setting off to Rivendell as a messenger for the King, after Lord Elrond had called an urgent meeting.

Thranduil stood imposingly by the door, hands clasped behind his back. "As soon as you are," he King said formally, "Make as much of the daylight as you can."

"Ada, this meeting at Rivendell, it's not just…It is not merely for leisure."

"No," the King said, "It is of the upmost importance. I believe our suspicions to be correct. If it is not in Rivendell already, Lord Elrond knows the whereabouts of the One Ring."

Legolas nodded. Long had they searched for the Ring in hope of retrieving it before the enemy. It seemed at last that everything was coming together. The gathering storm clouds could no longer be outrun. Now would be the end of all things, should they fail.

"It must be destroyed, Legolas. It cannot fall into the hands of dwarves or men, not matter their intentions. The Ring has only the power to cause devastation and ruin," Thranduil said, despite knowing that Legolas already understood this. "Nor can it stay with out kin, for the darkness is drawn to it; a darkness we no longer have the numbers or strength to repel."

Too much destruction the Ring had brought upon Middle Earth. Legolas looked at his father. Perhaps it was just the dawn light, but the King looked tired and worn. He still stood strong, and to many would be a formidable presence, but Legolas could see a weariness and frailty that he had not noticed before. And there was something else, Legolas thought. Something his father was holding back. "I will do what I can, Ada."

"You will not be alone," Thranduil said, "If he is not there, find Aragorn, for he must do this too."

"Ada, you know it is not what he wishes," Legolas said. The Ranger had long since made it clear that he did not wish to involve himself in matters of that nature. He had no wish for his birthright.

"It is no longer a matter of what we wish or do not," the King said, "It is only a matter of what is. Aragorn has put aside his duties for long enough. He brings hope to all whom he meets, whether he realises it or not. The world can wait no longer. Destroy the Ring. Put Aragorn on the Throne of Gondor. You shall see this world restored."

"Ada, I…" Legolas trailed off. He suddenly felt as though he had been punched in the stomach as the realisation hit him. "You are leaving?" he asked, trying desperately to keep his voice from cracking.

Thranduil stared at the wall behind his son, unable to look Legolas in the eyes. "There is nothing left for me here, only the pain which I can endure no longer. It will likely be some months yet, but yes. I am ready to leave."

"But, the kingdom, I…"

"Those who wish to sail west shall depart with me. All those who wish to stay shall be accepted into Lothlorien. I have spoken with Lady Galadriel and Lord Celeborn regarding this, and they are happy to welcome those of the Woodland Realm, which shall exist no longer."

Legolas opened his mouth to respond, but closed it at once, as he did not know what to say.

"All things must end," the King went on, "Even great realms and empires."

"Ada, I…" Legolas moved slowly towards his father. "I do not understand." The Prince had no sea-longing. When had his father been planning on telling him all this?

"Forgive me for not burdening you with such information earlier, but I could not bring myself to lay it upon you. It pains me to leave you, more than I can say," the King said, forcing himself to look at Legolas, though the confusion and sadness on his son's face almost broke his heart. "Here I shall leave some of those I have loved the most. Those destined now to become naught but memories." Thranduil walked past Legolas and picked up his son's cloak from the bed, in need of something to do. "I shall wait upon a distant pier, watching ever to the east, every day as dawn rises, in hope of seeing you once more." The King turned and placed the cloak around Legolas's shoulders. "I shall held out hope until the end of time for that day, however long you choose here to stay."

"I know," Legolas said, "But I still do not understand."

"I know. One day you shall. One day. Come now," Thranduil said, taking a step back from his son. "You must depart."

Legolas collected the rest of his things from his bed. He turned around and almost walked straight into his father. "Oh, Ada, I…"

Thranduil put his right hand out onto Legolas's shoulder. Legolas did the same to his father. "Know that I have always been proud of you," the King said, his voice strained.

"As I have always admired you, Ada."

The King gave a nod and forced half a smile. "I have always been proud."

Legolas smiled, though his heart was torn. "Hannon-le, Ada," he said, and let go of his father's shoulder.

"Legolas," the King called softly as Legolas reached the door.

Legolas stopped and looked back. Thranduil put his hand to his heart and held it out. Slowly, Legolas returned the gesture. The King nodded, his eyes full of emotion. Legolas hurried out of his room to the entrance gate, from where he would ride from his father's Halls one last time.