Chapter - 11

"Stop running!" I growl, flipping a table out of the way as the young, man in front of me was trying to escape.

"You are insane, leave me alone!" His pale skin is covered in bruises, black hair greasy and matted down; his green eyes have fear dancing around in them. His back hits the wall, out of places to run he slides to the floor his legs pulled up into his chest, arms tightly covering his head.

"I'm not going to hurt you, but I need to know where your old man is." Shaking his head, he slides along the wall into the corner of the living room. I take a moment to survey the room, it reeked of urine, beer, and stale cigarettes. The carpet burned in spots and stained in other parts; the furniture ripped or scratched to hell. Trash everywhere, from beer bottles to cigarette butts.

"He'll know. He'll kill me." His voice low, wavering slightly.

"Not if I kill him first, what's your name kid?" His eyes meet mine.

"Kayden, but they just call me Kade." He couldn't be much older than fourteen, but his eyes hold the same pain that mine did at that age.

"Tell me where he is, and I will take you to a safe place where he will never hurt you again."

"Promise?" I hold my hand out to him, silently answering his question. Slowly, he places his into mine.

"He said he was going on a business trip, that's what he always says but he's really out getting drunk with his boss."

I sigh heavily, drug dealers.

~~~

I walk into the clubhouse, Kayden following behind me silently before speaking, "Are you apart of this club?"

"Yes." The guys were all in the bar either drinking or eating dinner, but they pay us no attention, they were getting used to how I worked, how I would disappear on jobs and then reappear again.

"Do you want to eat or take a shower first?" His stomach growls answering my question for me, "Come on, let's get some grub."

Walking past the questioning looks, I point to my booth before walking into the kitchen, when I stop walking something collides with my back. Glancing over my shoulder, my eyes connect with Kayden's frightened ones, "You could've waited at my table, but since you're here, you can carry your plate and cup."

Piling his plate up with wings and fries then doing the same with my own plate before fixing us cokes, I lead him back out into the bar, settling into my booth. As soon as he sits down, he stuffs his face so much that I'm afraid he'll choke.

"Hey, slow down kid," his startled eyes meet mine.

Wiping his mouth and smiling shyly, a small blush covers his face, "Sorry, it's just been a while since-"

"Yeah, I know kid. Just try to breathe and chew." He nods before focusing his attention back on his plate.

"Brooklyn! Give me a hand, would you?" I push up from my seat, and cross the room to the office. Inside sits Diego, Carter, Rip, Tyson, and Maria all of whom are staring at me weirdly.

I sigh, dropping into one of the arm chairs, "What's up? Where's Tony?"

Diego, points at the door, before handing me a folder. Opening the folder, I start laughing hysterically. "I know his birthday is next week, his birthday present is in the glovebox in my truck."

I look around the room at all of the faces, "Oh, y'all want to have a surprise party, right?"

They all nod, "Honey, do you think it will be a good idea? " I smile at Maria, shaking my head slowly.

"Surprises aren't a very good idea. Rip and Tyson probably already told you as much, but it would better to just tell him you're having him a party. Or else we might need to give him a very strong sedative."

I look through the file, they've decided on a black and white theme for the decorations. The food is simple enough and includes a few of his favorites with wings, ribs, barbecue, and empanadas. I chuckle when I see their cake concept, its a Harley with a naked lady on it.

"Who's idea was the cake?" Tyson lifts his hand proudly, but I glare at him coldly.

"Change it. Simple chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting. It's his favorite. He also likes French fries, so it'll be good to have some kind of toppings set up, you know cheese, bacon."

They all look at me weirdly, "What? He calls them sloppy fries, you know, covers the fries in cheese and melts it, then ranch topped with bacon bits."

Their eyes still hold a confused look, "Seriously?! You can get them at almost any restaurant or bar. Loaded fries, cheese fries, what is wrong with you people?"

Maria finally speaks breaking the five way staring contest between the guys and I, "Okay, thank you, Brooklyn. I'll make sure we change this stuff." She takes the folder from my hand before walking back out into the bar.

"Who's that boy in your booth?" Diego's eyes are drawn straight to Kayden, who is still eating, Tony sitting right across from him talking lowly.

"Gavin's son. Scared out of his mind when I found him. Apparently Gavin is out on a bender, spending all of the money he owns the club. I'll find him later, but the kid is here to stay."

Diego scowls deeply, before sending the guys out, "Gavin beat that kid?"

"Isn't it obvious? He's covered in bruises and is beyond neglected." I growl, Kayden reminds me of my life before, when I lived in my father's house, the dark memories that plague my mind.

"He'll stay with us, we'll give him a job around the club. He can sweep the floors in the garage, or run errands for the boys."

I stand from my spot, "He'll work with me, when's he's not in the garage. Sweep the floors and learn how to fix the engines, but after that he'll work with me."

Diego agrees, we walk back out into the bar area, parting ways at the mouth of the hallway.

I drop into the seat next to Tony, "Hey, T."

His smile widens when he sees me, then presses his lips to my temple. "You brought home a kid?"

Kayden's head whips up, "I'm not a kid."

Chuckling lightly, "You are a kid, Kayden. You'll work in the garage during the day, learning how to fix engines and cleaning up when everyone is done, then you'll come work with me in the evenings."

His eyes widen a bit, "I'm staying here?"

"Yes, we all stay here or somewhere near here." I pick up my glass, taking a small sip. "You might be a kid now, but you'll grow up here, learning the right things."