Chapter 3

The pair made an odd sight as they walked through the Hogwarts halls, despite it being common knowledge that the two were close. Harry was studiously avoiding the gazes and jeers of students he passed, but he was not able to do the same as he passed one Draco Malfoy.

"Hey Potter! Granger and the Weasel finally left you! Not that it would have much effect, who cares about that dirty mudblood or that blood-traitor!"

Throughout the tirade Harry remained silent, not caring what Malfoy said about Ron or Hermione. Seeing this, Malfoy decided to change tact, "How long do you think you'll last in the tournament Potter? Father and I have a bet - he thinks you won't last ten minutes, I think you won't last five. Maybe you can finally join your stupid parents although I can't imagine they'd be happy to see you, what type of parent would want a son like you!"

At this, Harry snapped. All the rage, frustration and sadness that had been bottled up suddenly exploded out of him as he started towards Malfoy. He didn't even know what spells he was casting, his only desire was to make Malfoy as hurt as much as possible. When he finally lowered his wand he was breathing heavily, blood pounding through his head. The blond boy was in a heap against the wall, unconscious and with bleeding wounds all over his body. Students around them had backed away, fear written across all their faces as they processed what had just happened. Unfortunately, the awed silence was broken by the arrival of Professors Snape, McGonagall and Dumbledore. McGonagall was first to speak as she demanded to know what had happened. One student stepped forward, Ernie MacMillan from Hufflepuff. "Malfoy was insulting Potter Professor, and Potter snapped. Potter left Malfoy like that," he gestured to the crumpled body. "POTTER" Snape yelled, "You're just like your Father, just as arrogant as he was, hexing anyone you feel like-" "Severus," Dumbledore finally spoke up, "We will continue this discussion in my office. Until then Mr Crabbe and Mr Goyle, take Mr Malfoy to the hospital wing." Crabbe and Goyle lurched forwards, hefting the broken boy up under the shoulders, leaving just  smear of blood on the floor behind them.

Some time later all the relevant parties had assembled in Dumbledore's Office, the tension so thick it could be cut with a knife. Snape and Harry were glaring at each other, looking for all the world as if they'd like nothing better than to rip each other to pieces. Hagrid was behind Harry, a giant hand still resting on the boy's shoulder, Hagrid nervously glancing between Harry and Snape and then at Dumbledore. The old man was behind his desk, studying Harry with his twinkling blue eyes over the rims of his half moon glasses. And finally Professor McGonagall was standing beside Dumbledore, looking at Harry with pursed lips and an unreadable expression. Dumbledore finally spoke "Harry, could you tell us why you attacked Draco Malfoy?"                      

"I thought that was obvious Professor, everything came out."

"What do you mean by everything Harry?"

"Everything I've been feeling since my name came out of that damned goblet."

"If I may, my dear boy, what caused you to feel that way?"
"Don't call me your dear boy, I'm not that. And again, I think it's pretty obvious, but clearly you need me to explain it to you. First, my name coming out of the goblet even though I didn't put my name which I thought you had made sure wouldn't happen. Second (Harry was counting on his fingers as he explained) was finding out that I couldn't get out of the bloody tournament due to it be a magical contract. Then it was the whole school turning on me and accusing me of being a cheat, next up was my so-called friends kicking me out of the tower, saying I was unfit to be a Gryffindor (at this Professor McGonagall started, muttering under her breath about her idiotic lions) and finally it was Malfoy insulting my parents, Hagrid and myself. Does that answer your question, Professor," he finished, putting every ounce of sarcasm he had in that final statement. Harry looked around at the different reactions in the room, taking note of each and every one of them. Hagrid, despite having heard the tale before, reached up with his handkerchief to wipe away tears, and Professor McGonagall looked like she was about to do the same, before anger swept over her face as she remembered the part Gryffindor tower had players. Snape simply sneered at him, opening his mouth to make another scathing remark before he was cut off by Dumbledore. The headmaster had not moved throughout his story, simply remaining in his seat with that insufferable twinkle in his eyes.
"Well that's quite a tale my dear boy, but I'm afraid it still does not justify attacking Mr Malfoy, you must forgive him as everyone can be redeemed." Harry simply gaped at him, before anger came over his face.

"Whatever, I don't really care what you think about that. I was coming up to see you before the whole Malfoy incident because I need permission to go to Diagon Alley. Since I'm not going to be residing in the Gryffindor tower I need a new place to think. I came up with the idea to get a magical tent and put it up next to Hagrid's hut. And so me and Hagrid are here to inform you we're going to Diagon Alley."
"If that's alright with you Professor," Hagrid added. After a long pause, Dumbledore nodded. "Minerva will apparate you there, and you can floo back from the Leaky Cauldron. Professor McGonagall nodded in agreement, "I'll meet you two at the front gates in five minutes," she said. Snape again sneered at Harry, before leaving the office. Harry and Hagrid followed suit, the former relieved to be out of the gaze of those twinkling blue eyes.

A/N: Well chapter 3 is done, if you're reading this I'd love it if you left a quick comment to see your thoughts on the story so far.
Signing off for now...