Chapter 15

It was ten pm, when everyone excused themselves out of the barbecue promising to meet again at Lake Evershore. Elizabeth thought the Founder's Day celebration halted at the barbecue, but apparently there was more. She did not have it in her to ask as she figured out it would be downright annoying, asking the townspeople about every single sweet tea flavor, holiday and celebratory activity. Vivian urged Elizabeth to head over to lake Evershore with Ruby and Jack, but Elizabeth stubbornly remained behind to help clean up the front yard. The crowd had emptied as they headed towards the lake and Nolan did his part of helping the drunk home as he trudged to his truck with the drunk floral shirt guy and Billy on either side leaning against him.

While Elizabeth tipped the empty cups into the trash her usual sharp eyes, spotted a difference in Sage. The girl who was hiding behind herself now looked brighter than the brightest angel on seventh heaven.

Savannah was performing her duties as usual, but Sage was dwelling in her own world of lightness and smiles though she seemed busy with a broom on the porch.

"She seems quite out of reach doesn't she?" Vivian asked joining Elizabeth with a bag of empty cups

"She does," Elizabeth replied smiling at the girl.

"But she's happier than I've ever seen her," Vivian's voice lowered to a whisper and laid a hand on Elizabeth's shoulder. "Thank you."

"For what now?" Elizabeth laughed in confusion.

"You can stop being modest. Sage ranted on to me how she was soon going to sing the way the pretty lady in room six taught her."

Elizabeth remembered the eagerness in Sage as she had made a complete fool of herself which had happened to be pure magic to the girl's eyes.

"All I did was have a bit of fun, but all that—" Elizabeth nodded at the glowing Sage, -"that right there are the results of a leap of faith she took herself."

Vivian nodded her head appreciatively and took the bag of trash from Elizabeth's hands.

"It's time we head to the lake,"

"Okay I've kept it in long enough so I'm gonna ask anyways- what's going on at the lake?"

"Now what kind of a boring inn keeper would I be if I can't hold a surprise for my guest?" Vivian laughed lightly and went up the porch into the cottage.

Elizabeth shook her head vainly, with a soft adoration for the Woods' siblings and their broad ways of holding surprises for her.

*****

The Miller-Woods' along with Elizabeth in their jeep reached the lake an hour before midnight. Davis parked the Kaiser, as he called his jeep, which had been passed on to him by his grandfather, which much to Elizabeth's astonishment remained held up regardless of its rackety hisses.

As the jeep rattled to a stop the twins who were knocked out during the whole ride over, stirred awake excited and jumped out of the vehicle. Elizabeth stared in awe at the gazebo which was lit up as the bright fairy lights brought out the soft colours of the fabric twirled around it. The whole shore was crowded with people and instead of torches, as all the lamp posts at the dock were switched off, each adult and youngster had a thick candle lit up in their hands.

Davis grabbed the jittery twins and walked to the docks while Vivian tagged along with Elizabeth.

"Just wait for it Liz," she winked and pulled Elizabeth along with her towards the docks. When she reached the docks, she saw people passing out paper lanterns which were piled up in a cabana to one another.

Elizabeth smiled at the sight in wonder as Vivian disappeared into the cabana. While she gazed at the townsfolk pick up their lanterns and head towards the lake, a soft tap on her shoulder made her turn hazily.