Chapter 18

Ruby was impressed. Elizabeth did take her work seriously proving how all those odd shifts at Starbucks had finally paid off, and for someone who's had her fair share of attention in a strange new town, her benign approach made the townsfolk see through Elizabeth's woozy mishaps on the night of Founders day. A day after her start at the diner, Nolan had reduced Elizabeth's motel charges by ten percent to Vivian's amazement who knew her brother to be the inflexible bookkeeper of the inn. All seemed in favour of Elizabeth, but she could not get through the days without feeling guilty about her lash out at Jasper. She had apologised to everyone except the very man who truly needed to hear it.

Elizabeth's motive to stay behind instead of going back home after Hailey's news was to reach Harrison no matter what as she knew she was too unsettled that she could not sleep right anymore if this letter was not given. There was nothing exciting or hopeful to go back to and out of all the chaos she's performed since the dawn of time, now was the time for her to do something right and she dwelled on the thought until it felt almost possessive.

Hence to do things right and honest, one night during Elizabeth's second week at Chelseaville , after closing up Bitsy's as early as seven—which was way too new for Elizabeth who habitually was inclined to indulge in milkshake and fries post-midnight in the city— she decided to visit Jasper and do the deed in person.

Though she was quite clueless about the whereabouts of him, it wasn't hard when side walkers literally led her to the house. As she walked towards the house did she release that the whole town saw Crawford junior as a Good Samaritan just because Harrison was, and she conjectured curiously if Jasper even wanted to be the town favourite in the first place.

A few paces past the wild creeper path to the Crawford ranch on Barnfield Grove street, Elizabeth saw the limestone country French house with the blue mailbox in front. It must have been the only outstanding house on the street, and it looked nothing like something Harrison would prefer, thought Elizabeth. After gorging herself in the letter it almost felt like she knew everything about Harrison and the thought of him locked up in there made her chest heavy. The driveway was empty, but through the half-parted curtains of the windows she could see the glowing insides.

She gathered herself and walked up to the grey door. Two rings and one knock later Elizabeth heard feet shuffling, a sharp tapping on the floor, and the door unbolting.

However, the tall old man, with the neatly combed silver white hair and jaundice grey eyes, with a cane to support him was not who Elizabeth expected to see.

"Oh, uh hi I'm Elizabeth, is this the Crawford residence?"

"Yes, who're you lookin' for?" He asked in a raspy voice laced with annoyance.

"um Jasper. Jasper Crawford."

"You won't catch him tonight," he said deadpan and Elizabeth stared at the man intently and she could not help but wonder-and she wasn't aware of the chances of stepping back here again, so she took her chances.

"Are you Harrison Crawford?" She asked.

"Yes, how...," his voice trailed away as he held her gaze in confusion for a while, then he scoffed lightly enough for her to see his eyes crinkle at the corners, transforming his dead pan face to something hidden, only witnessed if you're lucky, "you're the city girl causing a grand ruckus, aren't ya?" He asked his tone changing to one of slight amusement.

"I guess my reputation precedes me," Elizabeth's said dazed by the fact that she was finally standing in front of the man from the letter.

"Well, come inside then I knew I had to see you," he smiled welcomingly much to Elizabeth's amazement, when she half expected an angry growl shooing her off the doorstep.