𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 1

{ 01 }

{ K y l i e }

{ K y l i e }

( NEW YORK - 2016 )

          "ELEVEN WAKANDANS WERE among those killed during a confrontation between the Avengers and a group of mercenaries in Lagos, Nigeria. The traditionally reclusive Wakandans were on an outreach mission in Lagos when the attack occurred."

          I was sitting inside my bedroom at the compound (the new Avenger's facility) listening to the news on our latest mission that went horribly wrong. I stared up at the television that was mounted on my wall, feeling the guilt and grief kick in since that day in Lagos.

        King T'Chaka of Wakanda appeared on the TV about to give a speech. "Our people's blood is spilled on foreign soil. Not only because of the actions of criminals but of the indifference of those who pledged to stop them. Victory at the expense of the innocent is no victory at all."

            I closed my eyes, zoning out the news; the guilt sat not on my chest but inside my brain. What Wanda and I did, we could not un-do. The guilt was like gasoline in my guts. My insides died slowly in the toxicity, needing no more than a spark to set them ablaze. The fire burnt me out so badly that there was nothing left but a shell, an outline of a person.

           "... they are operating outside and above the international law. Because that's the reality if we don't respond to acts like these-"

           The TV suddenly switched off which snapped me out of my daze; I glanced up at the door, spotting Steve Rogers aka Captain America setting the remote down on the table pushed up against the wall and he leaned on the door frame.

            Captain Steven Grant Rogers was a World War II veteran, a founding member of the Avengers, and Earth's first known superhero. Rogers ultimately helped the Allies win the war and defeat HYDRA's leader Red Skull but crashed into the Arctic during his final mission to stop a plane carrying bombs bound for the United States. Rogers then spent sixty-six years unconscious and frozen in ice under a state of suspended animation, before he was eventually found by S.H.I.E.L.D. In the early 21st century. Steve Rogers had been defined by his courage, patriotism, and righteousness; he had always had a noble and honest spirit, intolerant of injustice and abuses of power.

         "I feel like it's my fault." I rested my chin on my knees.

         "We know that's not true." Steve folded his toned muscles over his chest.

         "Turn the TV back on; they're being very specific," I responded. "They'll be ripping into Wanda and me right about now,"

          "I should've clocked that bomb vest long before you and Wanda had to deal with it." He started to walk over, "Rumlow said 'Bucky' and... all of a sudden I was a sixteen-year-old kid again, in Brooklyn." Steve sat beside me. "And people died. It's on me."