𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 9

{09}

{ K y l i e }

{ K y l i e }

( ROOSEVELT ISLAND  - 2016 )

          I HAD AWOKEN inside a cell a couple of hours later; the prison cell was barely six feet by four and the walls were the same thick grey stone as the dwellings of the region, but instead of a wide window with a flower box there was a mean barred opening with thick metal bars and no glass. In the summer the fresher air was a relief, helping to alleviate the stench of festering sewage but in the cold seasons, it let in a wicked draft and reduced the temperature to near freezing. It was no brighter inside than the gathering gloom of dusk, even at midday. The bed was a plank of wood on legs, there was no mattress, no cushioning, and only one thin blanket. It was either suffocatingly quiet or pierced with the screams of tortured inmates.

Before I woke up, I heard voices around me, even though my eyes were still closed. What happened? Where was I? I knew I was hurt because I could feel the pain but I was so confused. Was I in the hospital? Was I dead? I didn't know. My eyes opened like two flashlight beams, the new temporal inserts providing enough light to illuminate whatever I looked at. It was like being shown the woods one tree at a time in some crazy memory game, but it was better than blackness. My eyes adjusted to the lightning and I could finally be able to see where I was.

          The headache flashing through my head was the kind that stopped all other traffic in the brain, as suddenly all had met with red lights. I closed my eyes again, scrunching my face up as the light made the pain in my head worse. It told me it was time to rest someplace quiet, to ride out the storm within my brain, for in time pain does ebb. A groan escaped my lips as I lifted my hand to my head.

          When I woke up, I was alarmed instantly; I didn't know where I was and I was confused about my surroundings. Sam sat across from me in the same cell but once I snapped my eyes open he was sitting at my side in an instant.

"Kylie," Sam placed a hand on my face and cupped both my cheeks.

"Where are we? What happened?" I asked, my hands grabbing both his wrists as his hands were still on my face.

"We're alright, calm down before you start panicking," Sam forced me to breathe with him until I had finally calmed down.

"Sam, where are we?" I asked with staggered breaths.

"Take a look for yourself," He pointed towards the cell doors.

   I slowly stood up from my spot on the floor and made my way towards the bars; I looked out of the large metal sliding doors and noticed it was some sort of chamber and different prison cells circling each other. Inside the different prison cells sat Scott, Clint, and Wanda.