Prologue 3: The Cracks Of Rapture

Ava pulled me along behind her, skipping and humming a tune as she did. Though I knew my purpose, my thoughts still couldn't help but drift to what Suchong had said. She was my daughter, the love I feel provides more than enough evidence for that. But why would he say that if it wasn't true?

Before I could continue those thoughts, Ava stopped suddenly.

Ava: Look Papa! It's an angel!

I looked to see what she was referring too, and was surprised to see a mangled corpse of a man. It looked as if it was severely deformed, as its head was too large, eyes small black dots, and had multiple teeth missing. Aside from those obvious features, it seemed normal, and wore a tattered tuxedo. Ava knelt down beside it and stuck the needle of the extractor into the side of its neck, and began pulling a bright red substance while humming.

Ava: ~Who watches over angels? I do, I do~

As she worked, I heard noises shuffling from behind me. I turned and saw two more deformed people standing there, eyeing Ava with hungry stares. Though wary of me, they approached slowly.

Deformed Man: C'mere little girly, I won't hurtcha~

Deformed woman: We'll be your new parents~

No, they won't touch her. I gave out a low groan as a warning, and revved my drill, causing them to back away quickly. Ava stopped gathering and stood behind me. I picked her up and placed her on top of my shoulders.

Deformed man: Drop her! Or I'll shoot!

He aimed a small tommy gun at me, though I, of course, didn't do as he asked, only giving another groan.

Deformed man: Fine then. Die!

With that, he began firing at me. With a deep roar that seemed to shake the glass around the room, I charged at him. His bullets bounced harmlessly off my suit as my drill dug into his stomach. I lifted him up with my drill, and it began spinning, shaking him violently as he let off a horrendous scream, blood spilling out all over my drill and the ground.

After a moment the drill turned off, and his body fell off it. I turned towards the woman, who had been backing away after seeing the gruesome sight. She turned and ran around a corner out of sight. I relaxed slightly, and felt Ava hug my neck.

Ava: Daddy, will you always protect me from the monsters?

Again, another set of words that struck a chord within my heart. If course I'd protect her. I'll always be right behind her, until the end of time. I'll keep her safe. Of course, I couldn't say this aloud, but I gave a low groan to affirm her question, and she giggled.

Ava: Let's go, Papa! There's more angels to find!
----------------

We had been roaming for awhile, occasionally finding "angels" and other groups of normal people. Oddly, the only time I ever seemed to see deformed people is when Ava is extracting what I had gathered is called "Adam" which does some crazy stuff to your DNA, or something. Were the deformed people attracted to it? Probably.

We found another angel and , as Ava Gathered it, I was once again approached by a person, though he wasn't deformed. Still, I revved my drill and gave a warning groan. He held up his hands.

??: Easy there, big fella. I need your girl, but I'd rather not fight ya for it, so would ya kindly step aside?

What? He won't touch her. I'll make sure of that. Once again, I revved my drill and the man sighed.

??: So be it. Shame it had to go this way.

He raised his right hand, which had suddenly become covered in ice, and launched a ball of pure ice at me. Unfortunately, I had chosen right then to pick up Ava and place her on my shoulders, so when the ice hit me, it froze us both. The man sighed and rubbed the back of his head.

??: Aw, dammit. Had to go and grab the girl, didja? Fine then, guess I'll have to find another-

Before he could finish, he heard some faint cracking. Turns out, some of the ice he fired hit the glass behind me, and weakened it. With the insane pressure at the bottom of the sea, the glass was cracking, and would soon break. He turned and quickly ran out of the room as the cracks expanded, and finally broke, flooding the room with water. Unfortunately, likely due to how cold it must be at the bottom of the sea, the ice that kept us from moving remained, keeping us suspended, until something breaks us out. After a moment, the cold finally got to me, and I took a final deep breath as my eyes closed.