Chapter 3: Dawn Of A New Day

So.....

This is fucking terrifying.

Tatsumaki had decided that the best way to get us back to someplace she called "City A" was to use her powers to FLY US THERE. Meaning the only thing keeping me suspended a few hundred feet off the ground was Tatsumaki herself, and, let's just say putting my life in her hands.......

Is the scariest thing I've ever done.

Fortunately, Ava was perfectly safe, as she was being held by Tatsumaki, and seemed to be having a good time flying, stretching her arms out.

Ava: Weeeeeeee!! Look Daddy, I'm a bird!

Ava began flailing her arms around, trying to mimic the flaps of the birds we had nearly ran into at least twice.

Ava: Papa! More birds!

Oh god please no-

Low and behold, there was another flock of birds flying straight towards us. Tatsumaki moved out of the way, but didn't move me, so a bird unfortunately impacted my helmet, much to Ava's sadness.

Ava: Birdie no!

I wipe away the mix of red blood and feathers from my porthole and glare at Tatsumaki, who looked back at me and stuck her tongue out. I wanted to growl at her and voice my annoyance, but she was the only thing keeping me from falling to my death, so that probably wouldn't be a good idea.

Finally, after what felt like days of flying, we made it to City A, a huge, well, city. It's towers rose into the sky and shined like silver in the glinting sunlight as Tatsumaki flew by them. Ava was beside herself with wonder, and even though I was some distance behind them, I could see her yellow eyes glistening with excitement. Suddenly, she looked down at the streets below us.

Ava: Look at all the people, Daddy!

I looked down and, to my surprise, saw countless people. In Rapture, the biggest groups only ever had maybe fifty people in all, but there were easily hundreds of people walking the streets below us.

As me and Ava looked on in amazement, Tatsumaki  flew up towards another huge tower, much bigger than the rest, made from a deep black color instead of the silver and glass I had seen up until now. She landed at the top of it and sat us down. Ava looked sad that the flying was over, but I could not be more happy about it.

Tatsumaki walked towards a man who seemed to be waiting for us. He had greasy black hair and an extremely tired expression, which seemed to get even more tired as she began yelling at him. I didn't pick it all up, but I heard something about a "Underwater shithole" and a "Weird iron guy"

At that last remark, the man turns to me and his tired expression vanishes, replaced with one of confusion and curiosity. Cautiously, he walks over to us.

Man: So......

He pauses for a moment, seemingly unsure of what to say. After a moment, he gains a more confident look in his eyes and continues.

Man: When we sent her into those ruins, we expected her to come back with some water-logged books, maybe a few functioning video tapes, if we were lucky. The possibility she'd come back with not only a living human, but one like....

He gestures to me.

Man: Well....you, was laughable. But, here we are. Do you know how long you were down there for?

I shook my head.

Man: We found out that city was built around the 1950's. It's currently the year 2993.