Chapter 25 - Worry

My eyes fluttered open as the sun came shining down on me. I slowly tried to lift myself up.

A sharp pain in my entire body made me yelp out in surprise and I fell back down, my arms giving out under my weight. I felt less sleepy than yesterday but I felt even weaker.

I reached for the glass of water on my desk that I'd brought from the kitchen last night and gulped it down. I felt a little better but this wasn't enough.

I remember the doctor talking about a humidifier. I think Kirumi had bought one when Miu and Gonta were sick, so I should probably go get it. 'Oh... and I'm supposed to go down for class any minute now...'

I sighed as I made another attempt at standing up. I hissed as yet another sharp pain struck through my body, making my breath hitch. I still managed to stand up, but I was panting hard and my breaths were short. My entire body was complaining against the idea of even moving.

I still made my way to my door, ignoring the striking pain, and opened it. The big storage was downstairs, besides the staircase, so I will probably be able to go and get water on the way as well.

Each step I took was laboured, but I kept pushing forward, reassuring myself by thinking I'll be able to completely rest in my bed after that. I eventually made it to the stairs and got down to the corridor, that gave full view to the dining area. Everyone was eating and didn't seem to notice me as I slowly walked to the storage room and when I finally made it there, I picked up the humidifier, grunting. It was big and heavy as hell and my back was protesting against that new heavy weight.

I slowly made my way back upstairs and went to the bathroom to fill it up, but not entirely, since I would probably be unable to pick it back up after. I was lucky my room was near the bathroom because god damn was this heavy. After that, I grabbed my empty glass of water and went to the bathroom to get myself more water, physically way too exhausted to go back downstairs to the kitchen.

I headed back to my room, started the machine and gulped down the glass of water with my medication before laying back in bed. I could afford to skip some classes; I had passing grades and that's all that mattered.

My eyes closed once again and I drifted of to a dreamless sleep.

[...]

KOKICHI POV

"Hey, what class do we have today?" asked Kaito between two munches, his fork resting on his plate. Tenko stood up, going to the kitchen to put her dishes in the sink. "Mathematics... I think?"

"Please~ it's the same thing every week, you guys have such a shit memory!" I shouted, rolling my eyes. "Shut up Kokichi! You failed the last English test because you couldn't even remember what we learned in the last class!" snapped back Miu. She was feeling a lot better than a few days ago, her cold had completely disappeared.

"Does anyone know why Shuichi just passed by to get the humidifier?" asked Maki, as serious as ever. Kaito turned to look at her. "Huh? He was here?"

Shuichi...

I frowned.

In the last two days, Kaede and I have worked individually to try and find clues to could lead us to knowing what the hell was going on. I picked his lock yesterday and went into his room, but I couldn't find anything... except the photos pinned to the wall in front of his desk. There were dozens of pictures from the game of him and the others, chatting and having fun.

I took one of them. It was a picture of him and I; he looked worried and panicked, bandaging my injured finger as I was smiling, visibly looking at his face. I found myself smiling looking at that picture, before reality came crashing down and I was reminded of everything that had happened.