CHAPTER FOUR!

"Girl Meets Permanent Record"

"What? You're not sitting with us anymore?" Maya asked her best friend

The gang was at Topanga's doing their homework like usual. From his spot beside Maya, TJ glanced over his shoulder at where Riley was sitting by the other window. She had her test she got a bad grade on in Spanish pinned to the dress she's wearing.

"I don't deserve to sit with you guys. I am a disgraced." Riley responds. She points at the test pinned on her. "'D' for disgraced."

"Riley, it's only one grade." Lucas reminded her.

"Yeah," Maya nods. She looks TJ. "You know how many 'D's' I got in middle school?"

"I don't really care," TJ sighs, looking up from his homework to look at her. "But you're gonna tell me anyway, aren't you?"

Maya smiles at him and nods. "Once I got five 'D's' in one day."

TJ looks at her with surprise, not expecting that. "Wow."

"You were Cinco D Maya." Zay joked. 

Everyone laughs but then Riley frowns. "I don't get it." She commented.

"Actually, those 'D's' don't matter anymore, Maya." Farkle said to Maya. Maya looked at him with wide eyes. 

"None of our old grades do." Lucas added.

"We all start as equals, because our high school grades count on our permanent record." Smackle spoke.

"What? What's that?" Riley got up and walked over to the group.

"It's our high school transcript." Zay replied.

"Colleges use them to decide if they want to accept you or not." TJ told Riley.

"And so far for you, not." Smackle said to Riley and Riley sent her a small glare.

"Hm...Smackle, remember how you asked us to let you know when your refreshing honesty crosses over into-"

"Get to it, Bubbles!" Smackle interrupted Riley.

"Now!" Riley pointed at her.

Maya looks at TJ with furrowed eyebrows. "Wait, so they don't care about middle school?"

"Nope. Only care about high school grades." TJ responded.

His eyes grow wide with surprise when she suddenly grabs a fist full of his shirt, pulling him closer to her. TJ's heart beat increased as he noticed they were only a few inches away now.

"Then why'd you make me go all this time?" Maya questioned dramatically, obviously upset about having to go to middle school.

"I-It's not my fault. Blame it on the school." TJ stuttered, feeling flustered while Maya let go of his shirt. He avoids eye contact with her and goes back to his homework, not seeing the light blush that formed on Maya's face when she realized how close they were a few seconds ago.