two - danbury ball.

chapter two.

---

"I cannot believe you are actually reading that scandal sheet Mama," Amelia said with a loud groan.

"Well, of course I am. We must know what this Lady Whistledown says about you, my dear. Are you to actually believe this does not affect the outcome of your suitors?" Her mother Beatrice asked. They both were lounged in the sitting room, seated across from each other on opposite couches. Amelia had her feet kicked up very unlady like, as her mother pointed out earlier.

"What I am to believe is that....well, I simply do not care what Whistledown says about me," Amelia said with a matter-of-fact smile. She raised the book in her hand back up to her line of sight, set on ignoring the scandal sheet entirely. That was, until her mother gasped loudly, completely breaking any sort of concentration Amelia was attempting to hold.

With a sigh, Amelia dropped her book back into her lap, "Yes?"

"Lady Whistledown! She speaks of you – Amelia sit up this instance and listen," Beatrice stood and quickly rushed to sit next to her daughter. Beatrice started reading the pamphlet aloud, " 'And we cannot forget Miss Amelia Everdale, who garnered some attention of her own from Her Majesty the Queen. Whether she flourishes from this newfound attention or crumbles under the pressure is still to be seen. Though, I must say I do have high hopes for this fiery young lady. It will definitely be a most eventful season.' "

Amelia's face, which previously held the look of boredom and indifference, now expressed something much different. A mix of worry and frustration.

"Oh, this is incredible news my dear!" Beatrice said with a grin. Silence filled the room soon after. It was too silent though, making Amelia quite uncomfortable.

"Yes. Well, I do think it is time I start preparing for the ball later this evening. If you will excuse me, Mama," Amelia quickly stood and rushed out of the room. Air – she desperately needed air and time alone to prepare for whatever lies ahead for her at the ball. As she rushed out of the sitting room, she bumps into her brother in the doorway. Without acknowledging him much, she quickly passes him to her room.

Samuel, with a confused look, continues to enter the sitting room. "Is she feeling well?" Samuel asks his mother. With a sigh, Beatrice offers up the scandal sheet from Lady Whistledown to her son. "I think it is nerves perhaps. She was mentioned specifically in this. And well....we both know she does not care too much for attention."

Samuel's brows furrowed while reading about his sister. It is not that he was not happy for his sister – because of course, he was delighted that others recognized her beauty and fiery spirit. But he also knows his little sister. He knows how this must have brought a great amount of stress to her, especially right before the Danbury ball.

"Well, I say we give her time to get ready with Anna. She already has her dress prepared. She will meet us downstairs when it is time. Late or not, I do not much care. It is a miracle she is going at all after this bloody pamphlet put a spotlight on her," Samuel said, handing the sheet back to his mother.

"Agreed," Beatrice said. "I suppose we must get ready ourselves. Come, my boy. Let us prepare for this evening."

---