three - an empty drawing-room.

chapter three.

---

"Well, I must say Amelia, I'm quite surprised no callers have visited yet," Amelia's mother stated loudly, her voice filling the quiet drawing-room. Amelia was seated on one of the couches in the room, reading a novel to pass the time. She was dressed up, though her annoyed facial expression showed that it was not by choice.

"Well mother, I told you I barely spoke to any suitors at the ball. I cannot say I am surprised to see our drawing-room empty for the second day in a row," Amelia said, tone filled with annoyance. "Yet you still made me dress up regardless," she continued to mutter to herself, flipping the page of her book.

"Yes, yes. Well, better to be prepared than not, my dearest," Beatrice stated, continuing with her sewing project currently placed in her lap.

The two women sat in silence once again, before the door to the sitting room opened abruptly. "Mother, sister! Good day. Mother, here is the newest Whistledown pamphlet, I know you enjoy reading this gossip. Though I do not get why," Samuel stated, handing the pamphlet to his mother before sitting next to Amelia. The two siblings started conversing quietly, laughing to themselves, until they both jumped at their mother's loud gasp.

"My word! It seems Daphne Bridgerton is doing about as well as we are when it comes to suitors. That Thompson girl on the other hand, she apparently has the whole ton in her drawing-room," Beatrice said, continuing her reading of the pamphlet.

"Daphne? That is impossible. She looked gorgeous the other night," Amelia stated, surprise on her face. Maybe Whistledown truly is losing her touch, Amelia thought to herself. "Actually, Anthony has been driving many suitors away. I cannot say I'm surprised to hear that," Samuel said with a shrug.

Amelia's brows furrowed upon hearing her brother's words. "That just won't do. I know how much this meant to her," she stated, standing quickly from her seat. "I will be back later. I have a friend to go check on," Amelia said, pacing out of the room.

Beatrice yelled after her daughter, but Amelia quickly stepped outside, ignoring the shouts. "She'll forgive me later," she mumbled to herself with a grin, starting on her way to the Bridgerton house.

---

Amelia was let into the Bridgerton house by their staff and was shown to their drawing-room. It had been a long time since she had visited the family, too long in fact. She dearly missed her friend and had to admit that her family was rather entertaining to be around.

"Oh, enough about Lady Whistledown!" Daphne's voice could be heard through the door to the room. Amelia knew that wasn't a good sign. She opened the door to the sitting room, seeing Daphne and her family sitting. She could see that Eloise and Daphne were bickering on the couch together.

"Oh! Amelia! It is so good to see you," Lady Bridgerton stated, standing from her seat to greet her. Amelia smiled and stepped forward to greet the family. "Thank you, Lady Bridgerton. I came to sit with Daphne. It has been so long since I have seen her," Amelia said with a smile, nodding towards Daphne. By the relieved look on Daphne's face, she assumed her friend was thankful to have her there.

Daphne opened her mouth to say something to Amelia, before she was cut off by the door opening once again. "A caller for Miss Bridgerton," said the man who entered the room. Amelia quickly spun around to look at who the suitor was, the Bridgertons all sitting up straight in anticipation too.