five - promenade.

chapter five.

---

"Well, I hope you are quite proud of yourself Amelia," Beatrice Everdale exclaimed, throwing the scandal sheet down on the side table while she spoke. Amelia sighed as she sat on the couch in the drawing-room. She knew she would get a lecture eventually, now she just simply had to sit through it.

"Mother, surely it is not that bad that you must yell at her," Samuel attempted to reason, sitting across from his sister. Beatrice immediately spun around, her eyebrows shooting up while doing so. "Samuel Everdale, I do not want to hear one word from you currently. You were entrusted to chaperone her, and I now see I should have gone myself. Honestly, read of what Lady Whistledown said of you!"

Amelia sighed once again, mumbling aloud, "I do not need to read it, Mama. I can imagine that it is not flattering." Beatrice hummed in agreement. "Yes. Well, thankfully, Lady Whistledown did not completely ruin us. She seemed to pay some attention to your dance with Lord Bridgerton. When were you going to speak to me about pursuing him? Not that I mind, of cou-"

"Wait. What?" Amelia harshly spoke, quickly grabbing the scandal sheet and scanning the pages for the brief mention of her and Anthony. As she read the part, she read it aloud for her brother to also hear, "My dearest readers, it is important to note that Miss Bridgerton may not be the only Bridgerton to keep an eye out for. It seems that the notable rake, Lord Bridgerton, may have finally found someone that has caught his attention – one who does not dwell upon a stage. While short lived, this author believes a genuine smile is what graced the Lord Bridgerton's face last night as he danced with Miss Amelia Everdale. That is, until the Lord himself was burnt by her fiery temper. One must wonder, is there something more there? Or will Lord Bridgerton be an Icarus of his own destruction?"

The room fell silent once Amelia was finished reading. She gripped the scandal sheet so hard, she thought it might rip in half within any second. "Quite dramatic as always," Samuel said, attempting to lighten his sister's mood.

"Well, I believe it to be a good thing, my dear. Perhaps now other suitors may be brave enough to.....attempt your 'fiery' nature, as Lady Whistledown calls it," Amelia's mother spoke. "Enough of that, though. It is time to get ready to promenade! I will meet you by the door once you are prepared, Amelia."

As her mother walked out of the room, Amelia simply slumped over across the couch, face-first into a cushion, where she laid there until her head stopped spinning.

---

Amelia fanned herself under the tent her family was currently residing under while at the park. Samuel was off to the side of the tent, playing yard games that men often play in the park. Her mother was lounged in a chair reading. Ah yes, Amelia thought to herself, time to promenade. Flaunt myself in front of all the suitors here and hope one takes the bait so Mama will give it a rest for a day. Amelia glanced around the park, noticing much of the other young women promenading and seeming perfectly comfortable while doing so – much more in their element than Amelia could ever seem. "Shit," she mumbled to herself, accepting she will have to simply force herself around the park.

She contemplates dragging her brother around with her. Surely if she has to suffer through this, he must also, Amelia decides to herself with a smug smile.

Amelia stood from her chair, ready to call out her brother's name and drag him along through the park with her. That was, until she saw her brother conversing happily with someone she had never met before – his back facing her. With a huff, she approached her brother and this mystery figure.

"Well, Samuel, I do not suppose you would forget to introduce me to your friend here?" Amelia said, a playful smile upon her face. Samuel was mid-laugh with his friend when Amelia caught him off guard.

"Oh! Sister, of course. I would not dare to forget such a thing," Samuel gestured from his friend to his sister, "Marius Everly, meet my younger sister, Amelia."

Marius turned to greet his friend's younger sister, a small smile on his face, "It is a pleasure to finally meet you, Miss Everdale. I have heard many tales from your brother regarding you."

Amelia's eye widened slightly upon finally seeing Marius entirely for the first time. He certainly was not what she was expecting. He had a much quieter demeanor than the usual friends Samuel hung around, which Amelia greatly appreciated. "All good things, I hope," Amelia said with a laugh. "For the most part," Marius replied, his small smile shifting into one more mischievous.

"Marius is finally returning to London! It truly has been too long old boy," Samuel said, clapping him on the shoulder. Marius replied with a shy smile to his friend, "What can I say? I prefer the countryside." Amelia hummed in response – she definitely could relate.

"And how do you two know each other? School, I am assuming?" Amelia asked, eagerly curious to get to know more about Marius. It was rare that she ever genuinely liked one of Samuel's friends, therefore Marius greatly piqued her interest. "Yes, that is correct. Samuel was able to bring me out of my shell while at school. He was one of the few friends I grew to truly trust while away," Marius replied.

"Ah, Marius, tis so good to see you," Beatrice Everdale said while approaching the group with a grin. Marius gave their mother a bow and a smile in response. "Amelia was just about to promenade and could use someone to accompany her. Would you care to join her? I know I can trust you to keep her company." Amelia's eyes widened immensely at what her mother was attempting. Samuel simply sighed, accepting his pushy mother for who she was. Amelia gave her mother an exasperated look, "Mama, surely Mr. Everly has other matters to attend to-"

Marius gave Amelia a reassuring smile, "Oh, it is quite alright. I do not mind strolling the park with you Miss Everdale. As long as you are comfortable doing so, that is?" Both Samuel and Amelia looked surprised at Marius, but Amelia quickly recovered with a small smile, "Of course, Mr. Everly."

Marius quickly finished up his conversation with Samuel before gesturing for Amelia and himself to begin their stroll through the park. Neither of them said anything initially, both choosing to enjoy the quiet nature of each other's company.

"I must apologize for my mother back there," Amelia finally spoke, catching Marius's attention. "She truly has no shame when it comes to seeing her children off to anyone she deems as a possible suitor," Amelia finished with a sigh. Marius's eyebrows lifted, "Possible suitor?"

"Oh! Not that you are one! Simply put – in her eyes, if you can breathe air then you are a possible suitor for one of her children," Amelia said, her face flushing with a slight hint of embarrassment. Marius laughed softly, "No need to be embarrassed. I have known your mother enough to know what to expect from her." Amelia simply nodded; grateful Marius was understanding of the situation.

"To be quite honest, I am rather pleased to be here with you right now. I never was privileged enough to meet you last time I was in town, so I'm rather glad to finally be able to meet Samuel's spitfire sister I have heard so much about," Marius said, a hint of amusement in his eyes.

"Spitfire?" Amelia asked with a laugh. "While I want to defend my reputation, after my behavior the other night – I do believe spitfire to be a nicer term to be called," she said with a sigh. While Amelia did not regret her behavior from the other night, she was not too thrilled about what others may say because of it.

"Yes, I heard about that," Marius said, the look of amusement never leaving his face. "Do you want to know what I think?"

"Go ahead, let's hear it then," Amelia said, bracing herself for a lecture.

Marius leaned in a step closer to Amelia, glancing down and locking eyes with her, "A little spitfire attitude never killed anyone," he whispered playfully. Amelia grinned, laughing in response.

The two continued to stroll and converse, laughing quite often in each other's company. And while both Amelia and Marius paid no mind to those around them, the people around them certainly noticed Amelia and Marius. One specific person being Anthony Bridgerton, who was wearing a noticeable frown upon his face at the sight.

"Benedict, who is that?" Anthony asked his brother, nodding towards Amelia and the stranger. "Hm? Who?" Benedict asked, not moving his gaze from his art project. Anthony frowned, smacking his brother on the arm. "Ow! You could have ruined my piece!" Benedict said, a look of annoyance crossing his face.

"I will leave you be if you just tell me who that is over there with Amelia Everdale?" Anthony said, annoyance growing in his tone. Benedict rolled his eyes, but looked over to his friend Amelia to see who she was speaking to.

"Oh, huh," Benedict said, then returning back to his work. Anthony stared at his brother, his patience quickly running thin with him. Benedict glanced at his brother, a shit-eating grin on his face, "Oh yes. Apologies. That would be Marius Everly. He is close to my age, I believe."

"Very well. Thank you, brother," Anthony said before stealing another glance at Amelia and Marius. He simply sighed to himself at the sight, before returning to play with his youngest siblings.

---

a/n: kudos and comments are always appreciated! and thank you as always for reading!